Baked bottles smell funny

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Jack_Frost

Baked bottles smell funny

Post by Jack_Frost » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:03 am

I did two loads of bottles in the oven. The first were fine but the second smell very strange. Kind of burn papery smell, then I notices a postage stamp sized piece stuck to the bottom of one of the bottles. It must have stuck on with moisture and I didnt notice.

The real problem was that I did not notice until after bottling.

The age old question, have I ruined my beer. Has anyone else had similar

Tim

Tony01

Re: Baked bottles smell funny

Post by Tony01 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 am

If it does lend a taste to your beer (and I really doubt it), just tell everyine that you spent weeks researching the finest smoked malts, calculating the percentaces, sampling and generally sweating in order to arrive at the superior brew now being drank.

:D

Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:59 am

I did put foil over the ends of the bottles. The foil does not smell, just the inside of the bottle. I have a gas oven so quite cheep to run. I live on a boat so only have the water stored in the tank. I wanted to reduce the amount of water needed.

Very strange really. I will have to hope the taste if there is any is smokey

I have learnt my lesson and will buy some starsan stuff. Any good online links for this?

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Is it possible that some of the bottles were not quite perfectly clean before you put them in the oven?

Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:37 pm

I guess it could be possible, however the oven was not spotless either.

This is making me seem like a disgusting oik

I dont know why this made all of the bottles smell, they were after all wrapped tightly in foil.

Tim

Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Where does the charcoal at the bottom of my oven come from? I swear I have never had a BBQ in there.

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Jack_Frost wrote:Where does the charcoal at the bottom of my oven come from? I swear I have never had a BBQ in there.
The charcoal comes from the socks that the washing machine steals from you,the WM gives them to the oven to get rid of the evidence :lol: :lol:
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 pm

:lol: :lol:
Chris-x1 wrote:
This is making me seem like a disgusting oik
don't worry - I wouldn't put bottles in my oven, I wasn't to keen to even put food in my previous oven :lol:
You must have got through that shed full of rice you had Chris if you've had to resort to using the oven :=P