Peracetic acid: Is yours stored safely?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Peracetic acid: Is yours stored safely?

Post by aamcle » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm

20+ years in labs, store it properly wear gloves n eye protection and you should have no issues.

Mind you one lab I worked on had KCn solution in wash bottles, what made me a bit uncomfortable was that the labels usually came off. Mmmm..... Not so good.

As for the mineral acids and caustics in all those years I never got a burn, wash them away with plenty of water, don't tell the water board, and there gone.
Just pay attention to what your doing and rinse your hands as soon as you feel any wetness.

Aamcle

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am

I've been looking for information on the denaturing and therefore effectiveness over time of a 5% solution of PA diluted @ 10 ml/l. I make up a 15 litre batch each brew day and store for sanitising bits of kit over the whole time of the brew up to packaging. This can be as much as 2 weeks +. At what point has the effectiveness diminished to one of unacceptable risk? I'm looking for data and not just anecdote. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:44 pm

As no one else has yet replied....

I have tried to find something to back up what I was told but I can't. But we were told to make a new batch every time we use it as it degrades over a matter of hours. Hopefully someone will be able to add to this.

Added: There's a tiny bit here which mentions rapid decomposition when diluted.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:30 pm

orlando wrote:I've been looking for information on the denaturing and therefore effectiveness over time of a 5% solution of PA diluted @ 10 ml/l. I make up a 15 litre batch each brew day and store for sanitising bits of kit over the whole time of the brew up to packaging. This can be as much as 2 weeks +. At what point has the effectiveness diminished to one of unacceptable risk? I'm looking for data and not just anecdote. :D
Ashley, have you seen this old thread?

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 pm

kebabman wrote:I was just about to post something similar as I had noticed that my container of peracetic had swollen and after venting was unsafe looking again after a fairly short while.
As the bottle kept swelling up, even when kept in the fridge, I have thrown the stuff away.
I don't think peracetic is safe to store domestically.
I think there's an issue with the supplier here. I had the same issue and ended up keeping it in a fridge with the lid slightly loosened.
Some research threw up the fact that it should have a vented cap, one wonders how the supplier doesn't know this, or if they do why they're leaving themselves open to litigation when one ruptures.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

http://www.skychemicals.co.uk/content/1 ... ficile-027

looks like good stuff. Tempted to buy stuff to nuke the equipment every now and again.

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm going to assume that the PA I have isn't stored safely and, as we don't use it professionally, I would like to dispose of it (I do own StarSan and other cleaning and sterilising agents). What is the safest way to do so, or is it a down the drain in the dark in the alley job?

Cheers!
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:09 pm

CJR wrote:What is the safest way to do so, or is it a down the drain in the dark in the alley job?
Not if you live in a Village like I do that has all its road drains connected to the local river, we regularly have pollution events that kill everything in it through careless disposal of chemicals. :cry:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Might lob it in a black bag full of cat litter then. Next bin day make it gone and not my issue. However it's a city so unlikely to discharge into the river without treatment.
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 pm

CJR wrote:Might lob it in a black bag full of cat litter then.
They smell the same. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

CJR wrote:Hi there,

I'm going to assume that the PA I have isn't stored safely and, as we don't use it professionally, I would like to dispose of it (I do own StarSan and other cleaning and sterilising agents). What is the safest way to do so, or is it a down the drain in the dark in the alley job?

Cheers!
You could simply take it to your local recycling centre, where they'll dispose of it appropriately. Failing that, water it down and splash it on your fish and chips.

palmso

Peracetiacid: Is yours stored safely?

Post by palmso » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 am

The fish & chips suggestion has some merit. Left opened in a safe place, PAA will degrade to acetic acid as it loses its spare O. For the same reason, diluted for use solutions do not last very long. I think Murphy's of Nottingham may have a quick test method.