Astonish Oxy-Plus - Dilution quantity?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Keviebaby

Astonish Oxy-Plus - Dilution quantity?

Post by Keviebaby » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi,

Was in Wilcos today and saw some of this stuff and remembered reading about it on these forums so I got a tub. I've done a search and fund some threads where it's mentioned but nothing about what dilution to use. So it's probably a silly question but how much should I use for cleaning a 25L fermenter? The label says between 1/4 a 1 scoop per litre and leave for 30-60 mins. The scoop looks to be about a tablespoonful (just checked and it says 25ml so a bit(!) more than a tablespoon) so for a full immersion jobbie on my fermenter I was going to use around 6 or 7 scoops which is the minimum it suggests. Does this sound about right?

Cheers,
Kev

DRB

Post by DRB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 pm

Thats the one I picked up first,but then was told to just keep it for the washing as it has got a strong perfume smell that is hard to rinse away.Go for a non perfumed type.

BarrowBoy

Post by BarrowBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:02 pm

Oh b*gg*r - I was in Wilko's today (for the first time ever in my life - this really is the dark side) and I bought exactly the same product because there was no mention of any perfume on the packaging.

DRB

Post by DRB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm

IF it's a blue tub, then it smells
Last edited by DRB on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRB

Post by DRB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Just stick your nose in it you'll soon find out :lol:

DRB

Post by DRB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:33 pm

:lol:

BarrowBoy

Post by BarrowBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 am

DaaB wrote:The stuff I used was in a blue tub so it might not be the Astonish stuff i'm thinking off.
Yep, this is in a blue tub - you'd not catch me buying anything pink :wink:

I'll try the sniff test tonight when I get home.

BarrowBoy

Post by BarrowBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:34 am

DaaB wrote:........... i'm with you when it comes to pink, perhaps they make some smelly stuff in a pink tub because the women need to be encouraged into doing more cleaning :=P
.........and DRB, clearly. :wall

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Can the solution be re-used from one dirty vessel to another or has the cleaning power been used up?

I tried the reuse method with my IanB cornies and have noticed some are not as clean as others.
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

DRB

Post by DRB » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 pm

DaaB wrote:
........... i'm with you when it comes to pink, perhaps they make some smelly stuff in a pink tub because the women need to be encouraged into doing more cleaning

Barrowboy said
.........and DRB, clearly.

DAAB said :whistle:

I think if you have a look back at my threads I said blue tub. [/quote]

DRB

Post by DRB » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 pm

:whistle: :P

Keviebaby

Post by Keviebaby » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi, posted this query then couldn't get back to a PC to check for replies! typical.

Anyway, it is in a blue tub, but I've taken the lid off and had a good smell (carefully, I remember taking a lungful of Sodium Met once and it was not pleasant :( ) and I can't detect any purfume at all, I am really having to try to smell anything! Could this be from an old batch before they added something to make it smell nice?

Am going to try it out first on a bucket we use for soaking clothes so it won't make a difference if it does smell then.

Thanks for all the replies.

Kev

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:03 pm

i use asda's own brand oxy-clean - seems to do the trick.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:27 pm

I have two tubs of astonish under the sink, and neither of them are perfumed. There IS a blue tub of that wizz oxy stuff that is perfumed, but the white one is OK and can be found in poundland.

Keviebaby

Post by Keviebaby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Did a test of the stuff that I've got and it's unperfumed (phew!) left the bucket smelling nicely of nothing so I've done my brewbin as well, it's good stuff. It wasn't heavily soiled but it had some crusty stuff on it but after a soak and rinse it just came right off. If I'm lucky and I get chance tonight, a quick sanitise and I'll get a Geordie Bitter in!

Kev