Cleaning copper piping

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Will333

Cleaning copper piping

Post by Will333 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:04 am

I have just bought some copper to make an immersion cooler - how should I clean it before I use it to cool the wort?

Thanks

DeadFall
Under the Table

Re: Cleaning copper piping

Post by DeadFall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 am

I soak mine in something acidic. Old star-san solution works great. I haven't done it for every brew, it depends on how it looks, usually a wipe down before and after with a damp cloth is enough. Don't worry about the internals, they won't be exposed to the wort.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

'Normally' the wort itself is pretty good at leaving it quite shiny after use, and a hose down immediately (before any residue thickens or dries) and maybe a non-stick kitchen scrubby for where the 'ring' of floating crud was is enough to remove wet wort, break and hops etc. and leave it ready for next time.

If not and if the coils are too tight to access then following up the hosing with a soak in a warm percarbonate-based cleaner (oxyclean, PBW etc) should dissolve stubborn organics. If it accumulates any beerstone/mineral deposits over time then as DF mentioned, a short soak in some kind of weak acid solution (every once in a while) can help remove it - I use powdered citric acid for that type of thing, but presumably starsan would work and I've heard of people using white vinegar (I wouldn't use malt vinegar though). And rinse very well afterwards.

Generally its not necessary to also sanitise it just before use, as people put the (clean) IC in the boiling wort 15-20mins before the end of the boil and the heat sees to killing off any nasties (assuming you're using it to cool the boil kettle anyway). If you've just soldered it together though, then remove flux residue from the outside (say with warm soapy water and a kitchen scrubby if its a water-soluble flux), and flush through with warm water to remove residue from the inside. Rinse the outside very well afterwards as you don't soap or flux tastes in the beer.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 pm

I just give mine a good rinse in warm water after use and it's ready for dunking into the boiling wort on the next brew.
Best wishes

Dave