white film of death? or just a white film

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

white film of death? or just a white film

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello,
After dry hopping a summer pale with citra i noticed a white film on the beer in the FV. It encrusted the floating hops and was on the remains of the krauzen too. It smelled fine so i have bottled. There is also a different layer of bubbles from conditioning in the bottle. I opened one a jar to have smell and agin smells good. I have read on forums that's could be an infection, lactic acid or oil from high AA hops. What do the ale sages from the almighty JBK forum suggest?

Cheers

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: white film of death? or just a white film

Post by vacant » Thu May 28, 2015 4:44 pm

As a non-sage, there aren't any ale infections that will kill you if it's drinkable, pour it down the drain if it's rank (probably still wouldn't have killed you).
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri May 29, 2015 10:30 am

bleached the hell out of my FV and have another go today....

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Peatbogbrewer wrote:Hello,
After dry hopping a summer pale with citra i noticed a white film on the beer in the FV. It encrusted the floating hops and was on the remains of the krauzen too. It smelled fine so i have bottled. There is also a different layer of bubbles from conditioning in the bottle. I opened one a jar to have smell and agin smells good. I have read on forums that's could be an infection, lactic acid or oil from high AA hops. What do the ale sages from the almighty JBK forum suggest?

Cheers
You are dry hopping when there is still a krausen?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind