Brupaks boiler. Filthy. Mouldy. How to clean?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
wild_quinine

Brupaks boiler. Filthy. Mouldy. How to clean?

Post by wild_quinine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Help me you guys. You're my only hope.

I bought a brupaks boiler second hand yesterday. I'm going to do quite an expensive extract brew (it's a huge step up from partial boils, and I'm celebrating by going mad on my ingredients list).

Its got a plate to conceal the element, so I've just unscrewed it to give it a clean and... wow. It's bad news.

http://imgur.com/a/eUhvG

I can't bear the thought of risking my expensive batch on this thing. What the best workflow?

At the moment I'm planning:

1) VWP and hot water, left overnight - to break things up, and more for my own health than anything.
2) A good scrubbing out with a soft brush
4) A test boil, and let things run through a bit.
5) More VWP just before the brew itself, and a bloody good rinse.

Anything else, or any other order? Normally I'd consider so many cleaning steps to be overkill, but given the wild forest of mould in there, I don't even know if I shouldn't just try again with something else...

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brupaks boiler. Filthy. Mouldy. How to clean?

Post by borischarlton » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm

You need Sodium Percarbonate, a few table spoons in the bottom, half fill with water, turn it on so that it gets hot, 50c or so and then leave for a day or so. Give it a scrub and it will be sparkling!

Cheers

Rob

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Napalm? :mrgreen:
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

wild_quinine

Post by wild_quinine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks for tips guys. I'll post some 'after' pics later if I remember.

This is going to be some save, if I get it shiny again.

Funny thing is I'm usually so fussy with mould, I wouldn't go near anything that had ever got mouldy again, usually.

And here I am planning to brew in the damn thing in a couple of days, and I'm more worried about the beer than me!

I'm spurred on (somewhat) by the thought that if there's anything harmful left in there it will ruin my beer long before I drink a dangerous amount of it, so I better get it right!

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Noxious chemicals and some elbow grease.
Either that or some petrol and a match :)

wild_quinine

Post by wild_quinine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Considered the napalm, but apparently the army surplus was out of stock this week.

Went with noxious chemicals and elbow grease, and was pleasantly surprised to discover, as Rob hinted, that with the right noxious chemicals the amount of elbow grease required was not too serious.

Before:

After:
http://imgur.com/a/a5hTo

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:12 pm

wild_quinine wrote:Funny thing is I'm usually so fussy with mould, I wouldn't go near anything that had ever got mouldy again, usually.
Lots of good stuff has mould. Cheese, salami (lots of air-dried sausages, in fact). You just need to be choosy about your moulds :)

James

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Considered the napalm, but apparently the army surplus was out of stock this week.
vasaline and lighter fuel makes a good homebrew substitute :whistle:
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:15 am

themadhippy wrote:vasaline and lighter fuel makes a good homebrew substitute :whistle:
Don't think I've ever got that desperate, myself :D

James

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:37 am

wild_quinine wrote:Considered the napalm, but apparently the army surplus was out of stock this week.

Went with noxious chemicals and elbow grease, and was pleasantly surprised to discover, as Rob hinted, that with the right noxious chemicals the amount of elbow grease required was not too serious.

Before:

After:
http://imgur.com/a/a5hTo
Good work there.

Can't believe how some people let their kit get.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

AFewTooMany

Post by AFewTooMany » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 am

I'd give it a soak with oxi and hot water, a scrub with steel wool on the element and plate, repeat until it looks clean. Then soak with vwp overnight and a good rinse in the morning. That should shift everything. And just to be sure fill with a little water and give it a boil to ensure everything is dead. You might want to check / disassemble your tap if you've got one!