Sodium Percarbonate

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
DaveGillespie

Sodium Percarbonate

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Is anyone here using straight Sodium Percarbonate in preference to PBW? IF so, where are you getting yours and what sort of dilution rates are you using?

AnthonyUK

Re: Sodium Percarbonate

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:Is anyone here using straight Sodium Percarbonate in preference to PBW? IF so, where are you getting yours and what sort of dilution rates are you using?
It's a cleaner so use just enough to get your equipment clean. I've used Wilcos own brand Oxi cleaner at 1 scoop for around 10-15l in cornies and FVs.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm

PBW does contain sodium percarbonate, and buying this in bulk can be cheaper. Some of the oxi cleaners also contain it, though usually a lot less so they can actually work out poorer value.

Percarbonate will clean quite well by itself, especially whilst bubbling. However PBW is more sophisticated - it also includes sodium metasilicate, and I believe things to help reduce deposits of scale building up on equipment in hard water areas during longer soaks. Personally I buy both percarbonate and metasilicate and mix them at the rate of 2x percarbonate to 1x metasilicate, if long soaks are needed I may also add a little calgon powder.

I'm not saying this is as good as PBW but it is very effective and was much cheaper at the time. Though I bought 25kg sacks years ago and haven't run out yet so am not current on what are good prices or retailers. EDIT: it is important to store these things very dry if you want decent shelf life out of them; moisture in the air can cause them to set like bricks, even if they're coated granuals.
Kev

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm

We have a septic tank so I use percarbonate on the basis it's less likely to kill off all the bacteria if I let it stand a day before disposal. I just follow the instructions. 5g/l depending on how soiled.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Kev888 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm
Percarbonate will clean quite well by itself, especially whilst bubbling. However PBW is more sophisticated - it also includes sodium metasilicate, and I believe things to help reduce deposits of scale building up on equipment in hard water areas during longer soaks. Personally I buy both percarbonate and metasilicate and mix them at the rate of 2x percarbonate to 1x metasilicate, if long soaks are needed I may also add a little calgon powder.
Hi Kev

The Sodium Metasilicate that you are referring to, is it Sodium Metasilicate (Pentahydrate) or Sodium Metasilicate Pure (Anhydrous)? Who would have thought there would be two sorts. The supplier I was looking at was Redoka Chemicals.

Rob.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm

I've always gone for the pentahydrate, but mainly because it has been easier/cheaper to find in the past - such as from mistral - and (rightly or wrongly) I believe it to be easier to get into warm solution. Sadly I've no idea on how well the anhydrous version works in practice though; it may be better for all i know. Maybe someone with more of a chemical background could say.
Kev

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks Kev.

I looked up the meaning of the two terms and they are pentahydrate - bonded with 5 molecules of water and Andydrous is totally dry. So I think you are right that the pentahydrate would mix and dissolve quicker in water so I have ordered some. I checked current pricing and Redoka are still cheaper.

Rob.