Bulk sodium percarbonate v's cheap oxi cleaner

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Bulk sodium percarbonate v's cheap oxi cleaner

Post by gobuchul » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Looking on Ebay, I can get "100%" sodium percarbonate for about £10 for 2kg.

Cheap Oxi cleaner is about £2 per kg, which according to the MSDS is 30-60% sodium percarbonate. So working on the low end, it works out at about £6 per kg for the actual active ingredient. The rest of it is just filler.

So cheap oxi is not much more expensive than the buying in "bulk". Is it worth the hassle? Has anyone tried using the "pure" stuff?

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: Bulk sodium percarbonate v's cheap oxi cleaner

Post by HTH1975 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 pm

I’ve used caustic soda pearls recently rather than sodium percarbonate. It’s a more aggressive cleaner imo. Cheap and cheerful.

A citric acid boil afterwards is good to get a nice shiny pot. I’m using limes at the minute (same as we use in the pot stills at work).

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Bulk sodium percarbonate v's cheap oxi cleaner

Post by Kev888 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Personally, I prefer the pure stuff. Partly so that I know what I'm getting (i.e. how much of the good stuff and little/no unwanted stuff), and partly because in 5kg/10kg batches or more it is also starting to get a lot cheaper.

But yes, being able to buy locally makes the oxy cleaner attractive in other ways. And if you've nowhere and/or no container thats good and dry, storing even coated percarbonate is more of a faff.
Kev