Antiformin

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
LeeH
Under the Table

Antiformin

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Anybody use this on a home brew scale?

It seems very powerful and popular in the trade.

PBW is great but I’m looking for something with more bite.

All safety precautions must be followed obviously!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Antiformin

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm

I use it in the brewery. It's basically thin bleach. Keep contact to 30 mins at 2% (less when hot, 1%/1.5%) and make sure to rinse the hell out of it. It will corrode stainless above 2%. Gloves and goggles when handling.
Not great on brass etc and will corrode it, but otherwise it's a powerful cleaner steriliser. So yea, stainless or plastic only, if you have brass/chrome valves etc then don't use it.

LeeH
Under the Table

Antiformin

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 pm

What about a plate chiller? That’s the only thing not 100 percent stainless. Think they are braised together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Antiformin

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm

I use it in ours during CIP, it'll remove any gunk pretty much instantly! You'll be amazed at the colour change. Can't speak for what's inside yours though so I'd pull the manual up and double check. If it's just a quick blast then a flush through you'll be fine

LeeH
Under the Table

Antiformin

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I’m pretty sure the small scale heat exchangers are brazed together, unlike the large scale units sandwiched together with threaded bar.

When I left my passivation citric acid in for too long it came out a glorious green colour.

The MSDS states to rinse well with COLD water. Glad I flicked through it as I would have used hot.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro