Help, I'm looking to build a key washer/sanitiser what size pump do I need?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Help, I'm looking to build a key washer/sanitiser what size pump do I need?

Post by Wozboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 am

I'm grateful for any help on this, I know that a decent pond pump will suffice but what power output do I need? How many litres per hour? Anytime who has built a set up please get in touch. I'm interested in spray balls but as I've had to Google what they are clearly I'm on a learning curve here. I've looked at the Mark 2 keg washers but I think that I can probably build several for the price of one and I can't quite justify the cost at the moment. I also want to be able to clean and sterilise fermenting bins and the Mark 2 doesn't look big enough to do that whereas if I make my own it will be.

Really looking forward to any responses and apologies for bugging this site everyday at the moment but I just want to get set up and I want to try and get it right and I'm sure there must be a wealth of knowledge on here!

rpruen
Steady Drinker

Re: Help, I'm looking to build a key washer/sanitiser what size pump do I need?

Post by rpruen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Ex pump engineer here.

You will need a pump capable of not only flow rate, but head as well. If you are using a CIP ball then you don't need that much flow, but plenty of pressure (head). So you need the sort of pump that can throw water 3 to 10M in the air, looking at the available options you need to think about a reasonably high flow rate pump, so as to get the head you need.

https://www.swelluk.com/swell-filter-pumps/

Looking at this to have any flow at 3M head you would be looking at the filter pump 13000

A drill powered pump will be cheaper and being positive displacement will provide the pressure required, I use one teamed up with a 24v drill and it works great for cleaning my kegs.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... ered-pump/

hope that helps

regards

Richard

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this, obviously cost is a factor and in my haste I bought this -

Power : 60W
Flow rate : 2800L/H
H-Max (Lift height): About 3.0m
Size : Approx 170*100*110 mm
Adapter cable length : Approx 2.5m
Color : Black & Green
Material : ABS ( Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene )
Voltage : AC 220-240V

I'm not sure if this will have the necessary, bearing in mind your comments! I can't decide over whether to just buy A mark 2 washer that's purpose built at 130 or self build, I'm sure the self build will be more versatile and more powerful but the cost will be about the same with your suggested pump.

Do you have any advice with regards to spray ball fittings? I'm still leaning towards self build obviously!

Cheers,

Warwick.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 am

My pump is a 4500 l/h but It’s is over powered. Use a fixed spray head not a rotating one. You will need a cross piece so you can attach 2 quick disconnects for the gas and dip tubes.

I’ll try and get some pics tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

rpruen
Steady Drinker

Post by rpruen » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Wozboy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this, obviously cost is a factor and in my haste I bought this -
Thats ok sorry I got to you a bit late.

Wozboy wrote:

Power : 60W
Flow rate : 2800L/H
H-Max (Lift height): About 3.0m
Size : Approx 170*100*110 mm
Adapter cable length : Approx 2.5m
Color : Black & Green
Material : ABS ( Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene )
Voltage : AC 220-240V

I'm not sure if this will have the necessary, bearing in mind your comments! I can't decide over whether to just buy A mark 2 washer that's purpose built at 130 or self build, I'm sure the self build will be more versatile and more powerful but the cost will be about the same with your suggested pump.
I don't think you will have much luck with the CIP ball, but a fixed orifice will be ok. Stepped hose barbs make a remarkably good nozzle and you can cut them down to provide the jet you need. Either that or use a blank end with a few holes drilled in it. Its important to restrict the flow to get the velocity of the water jet high, that provides the 'mechanical scrubbing' action.

Use a cross and some smaller pipe to allow fitting to the in / out fittings on the keg, that way you will clean the dip tube and gas tube at the same time. You should still end up with a decent keg washer

I tend towards self build myself too, and am in the process of creating a RIMS system, even though a kit is about the same price. If you factor in time its probably cheaper to go with the kit, it depends on the level of tinkering you prefer :) I'm just a tinkerer. So far I have the control panel done and the pump, but am waiting on stainless pipe
Wozboy wrote:
Do you have any advice with regards to spray ball fittings? I'm still leaning towards self build obviously!
All the CIP balls when I used to work at a milk factory where 316 stainless steel BSP, but that was a few years ago now. There's a bunch of places online that sell stainless fittings.

Hope that helps

Richard

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

ImageImage

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 am

ImageImage

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:28 pm

@LeeH I like the look of your washer.

I see you say your pump is oversized. What flow rate would you opt for if doing this anew?

I assume you have a pond pump in there?

And stainless steel rather than copper pipework/fittings? (why not use copper?)

Cobnut
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Probably a pump 25% less easy.

I had stainless pipe kicking around the garage.

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Many thanks for all the posts and all the advice and guidance, I've managed to build my first prototype washer and I'm pretty pleased with it and planning to possibly build another to make it easier to clean everything and sanitise all in one go. The 600w pump works well and is strong enough, the Mark 2 washer uses a 500w pump so I thought this would be OK, a bit more power may not go a miss and I may get a stronger pump for my next build. The spray ball seems to work OK as well but I might try building the main shaft in plastic and drilling my own holes to improve the spread of jets in the clean. LeeH my set up looks very similar to yours actually!