Keezer hygiene, white growths on kegs?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Keezer hygiene, white growths on kegs?

Post by Wozboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 pm

OK, I have fitted a thermostat and I'm running the keezer at 10.5 degrees +/- 0.5 degrees and I haven't got around to fitting the collar but I've got four kegs ready for storage which I'm drinking from and using party taps with long coils of piping to control the flow. I was really pleased with the storage temperature and carbonation I'm achieving, however, I've noticed some white growth around the kegs and wondered if anybody else had suffered the same? As I'm dispensing inside the keezer of course it's not all sealed and I'm thinking spilled beer and the temperature may be ideal for the growth of this bacteria and this may be why I'm having a problem. I'm fortunate as the keezer has a drain on the bottom so I'm thinking clean all the kegs down and sanitise everything and start again ensuring it's a clean environment. I have taps and a collar to build and a gas manifold so when it's working as it should all the beer will be sealed in the system and be dispensed outside of the keezer and I have a funky drip tray so all will be kept clean. I guess this is just a reminder to finish the project, should I be worried about this white stuff? I think I need to get it cleaned and crack on but anybody who has any similar experiences I would be grateful for advice or guidance.

Cheers🍻

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Keezer hygiene, white growths on kegs?

Post by orlando » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:23 am

You've noticed the problem so what to do. Something I've done in the past is to use a towel to soak up condensation, then just change out every week. That's the cheap or interim measure. A better one is to use rechargeable dehumidifiers, that Caravan users use when storing them. Better still is to get a dehumidifier you can plug in that collects the moisture, just remember to keep emptying. You may find Winter is much less of a problem.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 am

Building a keezer myself shortly. I was planning to install a fan to circulate the air over a couple of bags of colour changing silica gel beads.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:32 pm

A dehumidifier is a good idea. I was experiencing issues with temperature differences at the top and the bottom so installed a computer fan to circulate the air: