Dairy Bleach

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Dairy Bleach

Post by FlippinMental » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Is anyone using, or has tried Dairy Bleach for cleaning /sterilising. I believe farmers use it as a deep clean and no rinse Sanitiser on milk vessels and related equipment.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dairy Bleach

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 am

Not using it myself but a dairy farmer mate of mine used it regularly although it's some years ago now and he's no longer farming (nor is he answering his bloody phone!). He also regularly 'burned' himself using it!!

I do recall it's very strong stuff and I think it contains caustic soda as a stabilliser. Unless you're intending a very good rinsing regime I'd avoid to be honest

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm

It is very concentrated and is diluted to the required strength. Just wondered if anyone was using it cleaning and sanitizing.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 am

I use dairy sodium hypochlorite for sterilizing my brew kit and have done for years, buy 25 litres at a time for use in dairy so just fill a squeezy bottle from there.

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 pm

a-slayer wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 am
I use dairy sodium hypochlorite for sterilizing my brew kit and have done for years, buy 25 litres at a time for use in dairy so just fill a squeezy bottle from there.
At what concentration do you dilute.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 am

Never worry, just dollop in a splash same as using any other bleach, rinse two or three times after as normal and no smell remains

Fingar
Steady Drinker

Post by Fingar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 am

It's great stuff for cleaning a patio after the winter!!

Phoenix
Sober

Post by Phoenix » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am

I use this, Deosan Red Label Hypochlorite 20 litres container costs £12 from our local agricultural supplier.
This is used on dairy farms and in swimming pools.
Dilution rate is 100ml per 40 litres water.
It needs rinsing after use, the formulation makes this easy to do leaving equipment sweet smelling and no trace of chlorine.
Like most chlorine products the efficacy deteriorates with time check the BBF label and increase dosage after 6 months or buy new and use old stuff to bleach your paths backyard or drains.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:35 am

I use Peracetic acid, which has become popular in breweries as it can be used as no rinse and is effective against spores.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:26 am

I use swimming pool hypochlorite (66%) granules. One teaspoon per 23 litres cleans and disinfects left overnight.
It is safe to use on stainless steel at this concentration. Just make sure you rinse thoroughly after use. If not as with all chlorine products your beer will taste like Dettol.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)