Beersmith 3 sale last day. Is it worth it?

If you use Beersmith, Promash, Beer Engine, or whatever, this is the place to discuss pros, cons, tips and tricks
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm

I see they've got decent deals across the Beersmith packages, ending today. See here

I'm about to get a one pot Klarstein 30L machine, and the equipment profile feature of Beersmith looks appealing. It's more detailed than others. Is it worth it, do you reckon, and if so, is there much value in the cloud/extra feature packages? Mobile or PC?

Cheers
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Beersmith 3 sale last day. Is it worth it?

Post by LeeH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:04 pm

The iPad version is really good, I use on on every brew.

I wouldn’t hesitate tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:09 pm

It's my preferred tool and has been for about 8 years - it's very versatile.

It's good that it works across iOS as well as Windows, although I really wish there was a web version.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Can't comment on extra "cloud" features 'cos I don't use them. The extra "water" features seems okay-ish but doesn't displace my copy of Bru'n Water yet. The new "yeast" features might displace my use of third-party tools now. But, for me, the purging of minor little niggles in version 2 (that don't even get a mention) makes the upgrade very worth while.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes, use it in my 6bbl brewery, very useful tool and full of good calculators, saves on lengthy sums like hop bitterness and steep IBU. It's like £4 on mobile and that does everything I need.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks all. I'm thinking of just the mobile one at £7, though the offers still look on today. The mobile still seems to have equipment profile etc.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes it does, it’s more that adequate for even the most serious brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am

US centric, particularly regarding liquour treatment, I ignore that. Apart from that I've used it for 7 years and it beats any other I've tried, mainly because it is continuously developed. Recommended.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:01 am

orlando wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am
US centric, particularly regarding liquour treatment, I ignore that. Apart from that I've used it for 7 years and it beats any other I've tried, mainly because it is continuously developed. Recommended.
He still takes no notice of my niggle about the pop-up text in the Notes field hanging around forever right over where you want to type. But otherwise yes, a good tool.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am

Dave S wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:01 am
orlando wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am
He still takes no notice of my niggle about the pop-up text in the Notes field hanging around forever right over where you want to type. But otherwise yes, a good tool.
Forgot about that, yes really annoying. Every time I use it I remember something I would like to see or have altered and promptly forget when he asks for new or updated features users would like to see. :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Ok, I bought the mobile version. Haven't done anything with water yet, and I've got to rethink that a little now that I'm moving to a one pot Klarstein that has a 6.5L space below the grains (never mind the option of doing a full volume mash). Everything else looks good.

It seems to have pre filled 'Measured session data' with irrelevant figures on my recipe though. Is that normal?

jsebright
Sober

Post by jsebright » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Already have v2 - I've missed this sale I believe, but I'm sure there'll be another one at xmas / new year. Has anyone who's upgraded found anything new that was really lacking before, or is it just enough minor improvements that taken together make it worthwhile?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

MTW wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Ok, I bought the mobile version. Haven't done anything with water yet, and I've got to rethink that a little now that I'm moving to a one pot Klarstein that has a 6.5L space below the grains ...
The new version has "recoverable mash deadspace" for that 6.5L. Never really got it until my "Grainfather" (my pilot brewery!) arrived and I could enter "3.4L" as my "recoverable deadspace" - beats the tricks that needed to be pulled off previously.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing