Dog fish head DNA.

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
beer gut

Dog fish head DNA.

Post by beer gut » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:40 pm

I bought a bottle of dog fish head DNA I bought from Tesco in Sunderland. I have a couple of questions about it's flavour that I would like answers too. The beer had a aroma of pickled onion and it was really off putting. Is this beer supposed to have the aroma of pickled onions? So anybody from the USA who has had this beer did your beer have a aroma of pickled onions? I was really looking forward too this brew and I was really disappointed.

legion
Hollow Legs

Re: Dog fish head DNA.

Post by legion » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 pm

This would likely have been the lame Charles wells version rather than the dog head version which is available in the states.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanx for the reply i was really really f#!#=ed off with this because I was so looking forward to it. I enjoyed the badger poachers choice better. I had brew dog punk I.P.A. beer years ago and it tasted a lot like this but with the added aroma of sweaty cabbage and sour sweet corn. I will write to dog fish head brewery they should know what's going on.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm

This is the official description of it
"Whilst there’s been a stream of craft beers coming to market, we’ve taken a new approach to creating a beer that is a true amalgamation of two internationally recognised brands.

Rather than simply mashing new ingredients together, we’ve taken a special reduction from 60 Minute IPA, a popular Dogfish Head beer in the USA, and integrated it into our own brewing process.

In other words, we’ve taken the very DNA of one beer and added it to the brewing process of another.

As a result we’ve produced a beer than is unique and diverse and a little bit special."

So they got doghead fish 60 min IPA, turned it into malt extract and added a small amount of it to a Charles wells beer....
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Well I like pickled onion crisps but not pickled onion beer that shit is just NASTY. Well I will be emailing the brewery.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:24 pm

I had it when it first came out, it was rubbish. I believe they took a lot of criticism for it and so have fairly recently changed the recipe due to it, I've not tried it since though.

It just seems like such a gimmick too

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:46 pm

What also stinks is i paid more for it than the badgers choice I paid £1.79 for a 330ml bottle. I think there is some sort of mash infection either way I am pissed.

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 pm

I had a half of it recently and enjoyed it. It was at the brewery though which always helps! Charles Wells have indeed upped the hops after the criticism they received.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 am

Well I have looked it up and it's definitely a screw up somewhere as this off flavour/aroma can come from not boiling the wort hard enough or by not conditioning the finished product properly it's called dimethyl sulphide.it can also be caused by storing it too hot or cold or even by light spoilage, the vinegar/pickle aroma is caused by bacterial infection. The hop levels I that I could get where ok but this pickled onion aroma/taste I couldn't get past it, it was like drinking a packet of pickled onion monster munch crisps.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 am

Had one a few months back...wasn’t blown away with it. I didn’t pick up on pickled onions though, maybe a bad batch?

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Well I contacted the brewery and after many conversations and blaming my untrained palette, the brewery have asked for the bottle back so there can investigate the batch and how there where bottled and stored.

critch

Post by critch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:41 pm

it is an insult to dogfish head.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:47 pm

critch wrote:it is an insult to dogfish head.
Dogfish head will have freely entered into it to gain profit, not too sure why they wouldn't be above criticism for their part in it. :?

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:49 pm

You like me probably picked this up because of the dogfish name on the bottle....this is a poor beer i didn't get any pickled onion but I did get disappointed.
Don't understand why we can't get 60m ipa over here.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

critch

Post by critch » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 pm

they cant physically make enough beer to fully supply their us customerbase, something had to give, so it was the beers exported to uk and europe