Stella Artois V1 - Dave Line - Brewing Beers like those you buy - Video review

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Stella Artois V1 - Dave Line - Brewing Beers like those you buy - Video review

Post by AceMcAce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Hey all

Tried out the Dave Line Stella Artois recipe from his book "Brewing beers like those you buy"

Definitely not right, but a good starting point!

Oh yeah, We'd had about 7 pints before filming.

Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

brewzone2021
Tippler

Re: Stella Artois V1 - Dave Line - Brewing Beers like those you buy - Video review

Post by brewzone2021 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pm

Not wanting to make light of the loss of the original homebrew journo, but I often wonder whether brewing the recipes in the order in the book will result in sudden death like the killer joke sketch.

The last page details Dave's sudden passing away...

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Re: Stella Artois V1 - Dave Line - Brewing Beers like those you buy - Video review

Post by AceMcAce » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:44 pm

brewzone2021 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pm
Not wanting to make light of the loss of the original homebrew journo, but I often wonder whether brewing the recipes in the order in the book will result in sudden death like the killer joke sketch.

The last page details Dave's sudden passing away...
In the interest of safety, I'm not going to try it!

Amazing book though.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Cut my teeth with that book in the late 70s and 80s. May seem dated now but back in the day it was as good as it gets and made good beers.

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:38 pm

The beers it makes are still great now! There's definitely a lot more that I want to try out of there.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Dennis King wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:36 pm
Cut my teeth with that book in the late 70s and 80s. May seem dated now but back in the day it was as good as it gets and made good beers.
Without Dave Line, I wonder where home-brewing would have been in UK today? His book got me started brewing all grain and thinking back to what was otherwise available in those times, I shudder a little.

I've yet to watch the video link.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Don't feel obliged to watch the video, I'll give you a summary.

We are drunk
The beer tasted good
It is a good starting point for modern day Stella, but not quite there
Needs more late addition saaz hops to get that stella smell.

We decided to start filming these as something to do during the mash and boil while we have a few (too many) drinks

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:59 pm

My one proper attempt at Brewing a Dave line recipe, a Harvey’s Sussex Best clone, in the mid 2000s ended up being incredibly bitter! It might have been my first ag beer, can’t quite remember. I guess hops must have been pretty poor quality in 1978 when he put the recipe together (my brewing skills probably didn’t help either). I would not put anywhere near the amount of bittering hops in a beer now. Nevertheless, his recipes were full of great ideas and my copy is well thumbed. I’ve yet to use treacle for priming but I fully intend to! Great writer too.

I caught the start of your video and if you had consumed seven beers beforehand you were doing well to hold it together, especially if they were Stella!

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:30 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:59 pm
My one proper attempt at Brewing a Dave line recipe, a Harvey’s Sussex Best clone, in the mid 2000s ended up being incredibly bitter! It might have been my first ag beer, can’t quite remember. I guess hops must have been pretty poor quality in 1978 when he put the recipe together (my brewing skills probably didn’t help either). I would not put anywhere near the amount of bittering hops in a beer now. Nevertheless, his recipes were full of great ideas and my copy is well thumbed. I’ve yet to use treacle for priming but I fully intend to! Great writer too.

I caught the start of your video and if you had consumed seven beers beforehand you were doing well to hold it together, especially if they were Stella!
Thanks!

Yeah, we tend to do about 7 or 8 beer reviews throughout the day and film them all. This was a particularly low ABV day so we weren't too bad considering how much we've had.

There are other days when we are an absolute mess. It makes editing a nightmare. Usually we have about 18 minutes of footage to cut down to about 10 minutes. The drunk ones usually start with about 45 minutes. Hard work!