Deebee's Ragnarok Porter vs. Boulevard Bully! Porter

Use this forum to arrange and post reviews of other members' brews.
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Deebee's Ragnarok Porter vs. Boulevard Bully! Porter

Post by seymour » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:27 pm

This review goes back to August when Deebee mailed me a bottle of his Ragnarok Porter, with which I had offered some recipe guidance based on my local Boulevard Bully! Porter. It was fun to compare an American commercial example of a classic English style with a clone brewed by an Englishman living in Norway. In any case, here are my notes from the shoot-out:

Boulevard Bully! Porter (click link for more details)
OG: 1058
FG: 1016
ABV: 6.0%
IBU: 49
Grainbill: Pale, Cara 300 Malt, Cara 120 Malt, Wheat Malt, Chocolate Malt
Hops: Magnum, Bravo, Cascade, Athanum
Yeast: American Ale

Deebee’s Ragnarok Porter (click link for more details)
OG: 1062
FG: 1013
ABV: 7.1%
IBU: 48
Grainbill: 65.1% Pale, 14.2% CaraMunich II Malt, 12.3% Wheat Malt, 5.7% Chocolate Malt, 2.7% Special B Malt
Hops: Magnum, Simcoe, Cascade, Ahtanum
Yeast: Nottingham English Ale

APPEARANCE
Both: spot-on the exact same colour, near-opaque very dark brown, reddish at the edges when held to the light, with beige foam and lace. Actually, both of these utilized live bottle-conditioning, which contributes major improvements to appearance (compared to pasteurized bottles.)
Bully: deep sudsy foam, bigger bubble size, slightly more persistent, more lace
Ragnarok: denser, spritzy tight little bubble size, not quite as long-lasting, almost no lace

AROMA
Bully
: more flowery, resiny American hoppy notes, dark caramelized malt, burnt toast
Ragnarok: slightly less hops overall: bitterness, flavour, and aroma. But instead, stronger black cherry, plum, and red wine grape (presumably from the Special-B malt and more estery ale yeast)

FLAVOUR
Both
: 100% true-to-style porter traits, mostly identical in the grand scheme of things. If not for tasting them numerous times, back and forth, comparing and contrasting, I definitely would’ve remembered them basically the same.
Bully: grittier charcoal notes, bigger emphasis on caramel and dark toasted bread, zero yeast-derived esters and phenols
Ragnarok: more of the red wine tannins again, tartness reminiscent of open-fermented, top-cropped English porter. Much more like Sam Smith’s Taddy Porter or London Black Cab Stout than a relatively neutral American knock-off. Heading into Belgian Stout territory, as if that were a thing. A more harmonious bitter/sweet balance but fewer American hoppy traits (grapefruit, pine resin, black currant), except some subtle berry fruit and ganja notes (presumably from the Simcoe, but I still would've preferred more.) Deebee's tasted more of chocolate, coffee, toffee notes...a more interesting balance of hops bitterness and roasted grain bitterness.

PALATE
Both
: the same overall perception of body and well-rounded mouthfeel, dry finish, except…
Bully: highly carbonated, so much so I had to slowly pour several times through the crazy foam
Ragnarok: lower carbonation (again, more authentically English), more noticeable alcohol (for obvious reasons, it’s a 15% increase over Bully), not in a flawed way, though, it’s still very clean and drinkable, and in fact the elevated alcohol combines with the sweet aromas to produce a perfumey effect. A more complex dark stone fruit aftertaste, for sure.

On the Ratebeer scale, I would rate them thus:
Bully
: Aroma 8 out of 10, Appearance 4 out of 5, Flavour 7 out of 10, Palate 4 out of 5, Overall 17 out of 20 = 4 out of 5
Ragnarok: Aroma 7 out of 10, Appearance 4 out of 5, Flavour 8 out of 10, Palate 5 out of 5, Overall 17 out of 20 = 4.1 out of 5

As you can see, I found Bully’s aroma slightly better, but Ragnarok’s flavour and palate slightly better. Overall, Deebee's won by a hair. I LOVE Bully! Porter, it’s one of my favourite go-to beers. Remarkably, in a side-by-side comparison, his Ragnarok Porter made Bully! seem almost one-dimensional. It was actually a great demonstration of two intepretations of porter, one American, the other more English (or even Belgian), one more hops-forward, the other more malt-forward. Perhaps next time if he were to use lots more Cascade and Ahtanum hops at flame-out, dry-hopped, or both, he would achieve the best of both worlds.

I was pretty sure from his forum postings Deebee was a great brewer, but now I've tasted the proof. So thankful he shared.

Cheers!
-Seymour