Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Use this forum to arrange and post reviews of other members' brews.
ArmChair
Under the Table

Re: Reviews of Member's Homebrew

Post by ArmChair » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Drumhead Brewery - Scammonden Dark 4.0%

Pours a really deep brown colour, almost black, with a fluffy loosely pale brown head, that sticks to the glass all the way. Little over carbonated, but has a nice smooth mouthfeel with a good body. There is a nice caramel and sweet honey taste from the malt, with a liquorice and mild aniseed flavour that mellows to a light treacle and woody after taste.
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Armchair Brewery
Triple C IPA 4.0% ABV
This is my first beer review, so i'm probably not great at describing in words what is actually going on in the glass!
Opened with a small hiss. Served at about 8'c.
Appearance: Burnt orange, slight haze but not cloudy. No head really of any kind.
Aroma: Floral/ Oranges.
Flavour: Slight toastyness/ brown sugar, digestives followed by a lingering bitterness of hops. Hop flavour: dank, earthy with a citrus finish.
Mouthfeel: Med/ thin body. Sherberty finish. Med to dry bitter finish. I would guess this beer is around 45 IBU's.
Carbonation: About right for this style of beer, but no head?
I found this beer very easy drinking, and if there was another in front of me, i wouldn't hesitate in having another. My only critism is the missing head. And personally i prefer my pale ales with a little more hop flavour. Good beer overall.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I finally got around to tasting the Ringwood XXXX Porter clone which Monkeybrew generously mailed me, using Ringwood yeast which he received directly from the brewery. Oh god yes!

He warned me the final gravity went lower than expected, which was detectable, but it was still fantastic beer. At a bar last weekend I paid $7 for a single bottle of Samuel Smith Taddy Porter. Monkeybrew's Ringwood XXXX clone was similar, a perfectly true-to-style historic English porter with that slightly cidery, plum skin tartness and bright coffee-like acidity which I love. His was perhaps even better overall because it had more hoppy flavour and spice. Delicious.

Monkeybrew, thank you so much for sharing. After that, if I get a Ringwood yeast culture, it's just icing on the cake!

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:32 pm

ArmChair wrote:
mysterio wrote:Any Canadians/Americans up for a swap this month?

Did you have any joy with this?
Nope!

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Pumpkin Ale - Anonymous Brewery

Deep copper colour with a loose, short lived head. Lovely spicy aroma, very Christmassy! Christmas pud on the nose (sounds more painful than it is!) is followed by emphasis on cinnamon and ginger tones. A subtle malty sweetness comes in, and maybe a hint of cloves. Quite dry, but a lovely Christmassy beer.
Planck Length Brewery
Fermenting: AG#27 Spectroscope, AG#28 Astatine
Conditioning: AG#25 Event Horizon, AG#26 Planck Postulate, Kit#9 Delta
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

"Beauty is in the hand of the beerholder" brew blog | beer blog

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Old Peculier - Drumhead Brewery

Good hiss on opening, and a swiftly dissipating butterscotch coloured head. Very dark, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Toffee and coffee notes on the aroma. Nice roasty flavour, with hints of coffee and surprisingly a bit of vanilla. Long dry aftertaste with a hint of licquorice creeping in. Nice beer, maybe a touch over carbed for me, but definitely better than the current real Old Peculier!
Planck Length Brewery
Drinking: AG#19 - Spectral Line, AG#20 - Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, AG#22 Inertial Confinement Fusion, AG#23 Nebula, AG#24 Olympus Mons

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:30 am

seymour wrote:I finally got around to tasting the Ringwood XXXX Porter clone which Monkeybrew generously mailed me, using Ringwood yeast which he received directly from the brewery. Oh god yes!

He warned me the final gravity went lower than expected, which was detectable, but it was still fantastic beer. At a bar last weekend I paid $7 for a single bottle of Samuel Smith Taddy Porter. Monkeybrew's Ringwood XXXX clone was similar, a perfectly true-to-style historic English porter with that slightly cidery, plum skin tartness and bright coffee-like acidity which I love. His was perhaps even better overall because it had more hoppy flavour and spice. Delicious.

Monkeybrew, thank you so much for sharing. After that, if I get a Ringwood yeast culture, it's just icing on the cake!
Many thanks for your detailed feedback Seymour!

I shall definitely brew this recipe again for Autumn 2014 with a few minor tweaks.

Lets hope you have success with the yeast dregs [-o<

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Imperial Goddess - Armchair Brewery

Whoah. Black as pitch, heat, liquorice and coffee on the aroma. No particular head. Sweet dark malts on the nose, hints of vanilla and whisky, almost a peatiness, liquorice and treacle, then the alcoholic heat comes through. Very very rich, with a winey complexity. That whisky shows again in the aftertaste. Dangerous beer, tastes nowt like 11%! Good work Simon.
Planck Length Brewery

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for the review Nick.

This drink has had some kind words said about it in the last few days :)
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Stomach's Geordie Bitter 4.1%

It poured quite lively with a big off white head, but settled down to a nice tight head that lasted almost until the last mouthful.

The colour is lighter than my picture, and is more of a dark gold. The aroma is slightly fruity and the flavour also has hints of English hop fruit, but nothing over the top. For a basic kit, I have to say that it is very drinkable, but has probably lost a little flavour as it's been bottled for a little over six months, but I can see why it won a prize in a local competition!

I am not sure of what fermentables Stomach used, or how many litres it was brewed to, but it is certainly a great Bitter for a session ;-)

Cheers and thanks.

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Monkeybrew wrote:Stomach's Geordie Bitter 4.1%

It poured quite lively with a big off white head, but settled down to a nice tight head that lasted almost until the last mouthful.

The colour is lighter than my picture, and is more of a dark gold. The aroma is slightly fruity and the flavour also has hints of English hop fruit, but nothing over the top. For a basic kit, I have to say that it is very drinkable, but has probably lost a little flavour as it's been bottled for a little over six months, but I can see why it won a prize in a local competition!

I am not sure of what fermentables Stomach used, or how many litres it was brewed to, but it is certainly a great Bitter for a session ;-)

Cheers and thanks.

MB
Cheers Monkeybrew for the kind feedback!

Its a great little kit! I bought it for half price in the Wilko sale! But its generally only around 11 quid to buy.

I simply brewed it with 1KG of medium spraymalt and to 21 litres, and that was it! It wasnt very old when it went to the competition, but it does make a great session beer and probably lends itself to a good base for a tweak!

Cheers

Fermenting:-
FV 1 - Festival Spiced Winter Ale
FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Drinking:-
Keg 1 - Nothing

Conditioning:-

Bottles - Brewferm Winter Ale
Bottles - Brewferm Triple

Next
Work in progress
Old Tin of Coopers Cerveza
Couple of old tins of stuff to experiment with!

sunny_jimbob
Piss Artist

Post by sunny_jimbob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Night Badger - Whitley Brewery, Oli1979

Gentle hiss to open, lovely citrus aroma straight away. Very dark with a small creamy head and ruby highlights. Rich lemony aroma. Not much on the nose, maybe a hint of malt, then a cracking, well balanced, fruity hop flavour comes in. Very smooth bitterness, and a super blend of citrus flavours. These flavours go on and on, long, quenching aftertaste. This is a belting pint, good work!
Planck Length Brewery

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 pm

LeedsBrew - Chana IPA 7.2%

Just sampling this now!

Pours a golden yellow colour, no haze at all. White loosely packed head, Good lacing in the glass all the way to the end.
This is my style of APA! Very crisp and refreshing. The body and mouth feel is amazing!

On the nose I'm getting a very grassy fresh pine tree aroma, with a fruity citrus kick.

There is a very hoppy taste to this that would stand up easily against any brewdog ale that I've tired, it's jam packed with flavour. I'm getting a pungent crisp citrus bitterness, with lemon, grapefruit, mango and a little hint of pomegranate.
This could be a very dangerous ale! It's so easy to drink and there is only a slight hint of the high abv!

Well done Leedsbrew, first one for me of your this evening and im looking forward to the rest!
Last edited by ArmChair on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:16 pm

LeedsBrew - Coffee Oatmeal Stout 4.4%

Pours a jet black colour that does not let light through, with a chocolaty coloured head. Amazing lacing down the glass.
The aroma is of fresh brew coffee and dark cocoa.

This is an ale that's silky smooth and something you can kick back with and savour.

The taste is of a roasty fresh brew coffee, with chocolate notes.

I'm not a coffee fan, but this is amazing!
I would happily buy this if it was on a bar in a pub!
Last edited by ArmChair on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 am

You are very kind matey! Glad you liked them! I will be tucking into a couple of yours tonight as I was at work last night!