Fullers 1845

Use this forum to post your reviews of commercial beers, ciders, wines or anything else you can find!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Fullers 1845

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Just picked up 3 bottles in Leeds - plenty on the shelves there

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Meatymc wrote:Just picked up 3 bottles in Leeds - plenty on the shelves there
Reet! Life is looking up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 am

greenwood wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 pm
Reet? Into 1930's American jazz are we???

Any reason why people don't put on where they're based? Loads of stuff on here where that small bit of info' would enable responses to be much more targetted - JIM???

Not sure this exercise was worth the £5+ and travel bother. Read quite a bit about this brew and obviously just after the yeast for an ESB. I know it all comes down to personal taste, but 2 was more than enough for me - contents of the 3rd bottle (except the dregs of course) down the sink - not to my taste at all.

Have a 1.2L starter on the go with it but wondering whether to ditch it and start a PJ clone from a sample of theirs I have in the fridge.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 am

Is the Fullers yeast strain not available anywhere? I’d imagine Brewlab have it if either Whitelabs or Wyeast don’t.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Meatymc wrote:
greenwood wrote:

Any reason why people don't put on where they're based? Loads of stuff on here where that small bit of info' would enable responses to be much more targetted - JIM???

Not sure this exercise was worth the £5+ and travel bother. Read quite a bit about this brew and obviously just after the yeast for an ESB. I know it all comes down to personal taste, but 2 was more than enough for me - contents of the 3rd bottle (except the dregs of course) down the sink - not to my taste at all.

Have a 1.2L starter on the go with it but wondering whether to ditch it and start a PJ clone from a sample of theirs I have in the fridge.
I just use dregs of one bottle 1845 or PJ . I find it more than enough to fire up 5 gallons ... I’ve done it 100s of times . Reet . ( just my phonetic attempt at Lancashire accent ... but live in Somerset now arp!)

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:12 pm

greenwood wrote:
Meatymc wrote:
greenwood wrote:

I just use dregs of one bottle 1845 or PJ . I find it more than enough to fire up 5 gallons ... I’ve done it 100s of times . Reet . ( just my phonetic attempt at Lancashire accent ... but live in Somerset now arp!)
After 3 days in conical from one 1845 ... never had a failure or used more than one bottle

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 pm

greenwood wrote:
greenwood wrote:
Meatymc wrote: Reet? Into 1930's American jazz are we???

After 3 days in conical from one 1845 ... never had a failure or used more than one bottle

It is a one litre conical and I use malt extract flour .

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 pm

HTH1975 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 am
Is the Fullers yeast strain not available anywhere? I’d imagine Brewlab have it if either Whitelabs or Wyeast don’t.
Although our colonial friends are convinced that WLP002 and 1968 both come from Fuller's, they don't have the marmalade that you'd expect of the real Fuller's yeast. Also they are both closely related to WLP007 which is putatively derived from Whitbread B, which again doesn't quite fit the Fuller's version of history.

Brewlab's Thames Valley 3 may be of interest - I think they had some tubes at Brewcon.

As an aside, today 1845 won CAMRA bottle of the year, which may help distribution.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 pm
As an aside, today 1845 won CAMRA bottle of the year, which may help distribution.
Really - gobsmacked!!

Just to cover off a couple of other comments, I always go for 3 bottles of dregs primarily because I've convinced the wife it's the minimum required (when she goes shopping) so I get 3 bottles to supp and all the dregs I need.

And just as a final comment, my Fullers starter has done nothing - not a bubble. Checked back and this would have been the 18th starter I've done but the 1st with Fullers and the 1st failure - live and learn.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Northern Brewer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 pm
Really - gobsmacked!!

Just to cover off a couple of other comments, I always go for 3 bottles of dregs primarily because I've convinced the wife it's the minimum required (when she goes shopping) so I get 3 bottles to supp and all the dregs I need.

And just as a final comment, my Fullers starter has done nothing - not a bubble. Checked back and this would have been the 18th starter I've done but the 1st with Fullers and the 1st failure - live and learn.
As I say I’ve never had a failure off just one bottle dregs . Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but is it warm enough ?

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 pm

greenwood wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:00 pm
As I say I’ve never had a failure off just one bottle dregs . Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but is it warm enough ?
Same process every time - did a PJ starter 24 hours later - same process again and no problems at all.

Like most things that should work but suddenly don't, will probably never get to the bottom of why this one didn't. Will put it down to experience but will also revert to PJ in future

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Got mine started Thurs night and took until Sunday morning to show proper activity. Put it down to the cooler temps this time of year.
IMG_20181202_081413.jpeg