5ltr Water bottles - what size bung?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

5ltr Water bottles - what size bung?

Post by Cozzyb » Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi folks, I assumed someone on here would know the answer when Google failed.

5 litre water bottles from the supermarket, what size rubber bung do they take? Going to buy a bung and airlock off eBay but can’t find what size I need anywhere. Thanks

IPA
Under the Table

Re: 5ltr Water bottles - what size bung?

Post by IPA » Thu May 26, 2022 2:26 pm

Cozzyb wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 pm

5 litre water bottles from the supermarket, what size rubber bung do they take? Going to buy a bung and airlock off eBay but can’t find what size I need anywhere. Thanks
Can you not measure the width ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu May 26, 2022 2:33 pm

Cozzyb wrote:

If you're using it for an airlock, then years ago when I did this I couldn't find one with a hole in it that was suitable.

It was much easier to drill a hole in the plastic cap and stick a rubber airlock grommet in it: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/rubber-grommit-red.html
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Thu May 26, 2022 2:38 pm

IPA wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:26 pm
Cozzyb wrote:

Can you not measure the width ?
I could if I had already bought it, but I haven’t yet.

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Thu May 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Jocky wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:33 pm
Cozzyb wrote:

If you're using it for an airlock, then years ago when I did this I couldn't find one with a hole in it that was suitable.

It was much easier to drill a hole in the plastic cap and stick a rubber airlock grommet in it: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/rubber-grommit-red.html
Hoping to avoid this if possible but certainly an option I’d can’t find right size

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri May 27, 2022 6:49 am

What he said. "Drill and grommet ".... Or just 'crack' can't remember the last time I used an airlock. That way you can keep the closure intact.

It's really a how long is a piece of string question. Different brands will use different bottles and be different sizes.

That and larger silicone bungs start to get pricey.

Better might be with water chiller bottles, they come up on ebay frequently, if you can't find somewhere to beg one.

If these a reason you want 5 litre size?