Was my yeast bad, should I complain?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Was my yeast bad, should I complain?

Post by Cobnut » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Anecdotally, we home brewers chronically underpitch.

If I'm using wet yeast, I rely on the calculator in brewfather to tell me how big my starter should be (e.g. 1050 OG Dunkelweiss this weekend with a pack of WLP300 is using a 0.9L starter).

If using dry yeast, I don't always follow what Brewfather tells me (e.g. brewed a 1050 OG Helles with MJ Bohemian Lager yeast and pitched 2 packs c.f. the 3 that BF "told" me to use. It fermented just fine thank you very much).

Relying on a 5 month old smack pack to ferment 20L of 1048 ale seems optimistic, though, but I'd reckon that a single pack of S-04 ought to cope OK, albeit the lag time may be 24 hours or so.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Bretty Biscuit
Tippler

Post by Bretty Biscuit » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm

I like to avoid lag times, stressed yeast & unwanted flavours in my beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Bretty Biscuit wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm
How can you avoid a lag time? Surely the yeast, whether wet or dried, whether starter or not, needs to use up the oxygen in the wort before beginning to ferment the sugars?

Guy

Bretty Biscuit
Tippler

Post by Bretty Biscuit » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:27 pm

[quote="guypettigrew"][quote="Bretty Biscuit" post_id=853897 time=1606412857 user_id=31558]
[/quote]

How can you avoid a lag time? Surely the yeast, whether wet or dried, whether starter or not, needs to use up the oxygen in the wort before beginning to ferment the sugars?

Guy[/quote]
It can be avoided by pitching the correct amount of yeast, within recommended temp & good oxygenation. Lagers can appear to lag as they’re brewed at much lower temps than Ale, lager yeast strains bottom ferment too. Just because the airlock ( if using) doesn’t bubble does not mean there is no activity.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:41 pm

Yeah, anyway, the so-called lag phase is simply where the yeast cells need time to process the environmental change - sweet wort conditions - and remodel their transcriptome to synthesise the appropriate proteins (enzymes) to do their dirty deed. It takes a few to several hours under optimal conditions, being strain dependent. Any longer, you’ve f*cked up somewhere in the process. The longer your ‘lag phase’ the more you’ve f*cked up. It doesn’t take f*cking days. Fermentation takes days. The biggest f*ck ups are under pitching and low viability, which aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive f*ck ups. The main aim is to pitch sufficient (lots of) healthy yeast cells. There aren’t any magic one-size-fits-all pitching rates* and home brewers are unlikely to be in a position to be ‘over pitching’.

*How the f*ck are you going to know, unless you have at least a microscope and you really know how to use it? :lol:

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 am

McMullan wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:41 pm
Yeah, anyway, the so-called lag phase is simply where the yeast cells need time to process the environmental change - sweet wort conditions - and remodel their transcriptome to synthesise the appropriate proteins (enzymes) to do their dirty deed. It takes a few to several hours under optimal conditions, being strain dependent. Any longer, you’ve f*cked up somewhere in the process. The longer your ‘lag phase’ the more you’ve f*cked up. It doesn’t take f*cking days. Fermentation takes days. The biggest f*ck ups are under pitching and low viability, which aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive f*ck ups. The main aim is to pitch sufficient (lots of) healthy yeast cells. There aren’t any magic one-size-fits-all pitching rates* and home brewers are unlikely to be in a position to be ‘over pitching’.

*How the f*ck are you going to know, unless you have at least a microscope and you really know how to use it? :lol:

:lol:
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Bretty Biscuit
Tippler

Post by Bretty Biscuit » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:12 am

[quote="McMullan"]Yeah, anyway, the so-called [i]lag phase[/i] is simply where the yeast cells need time to process the environmental change - sweet wort conditions - and remodel their transcriptome to synthesise the appropriate proteins (enzymes) to do their dirty deed. It takes a few to several hours under optimal conditions, being strain dependent. Any longer, you’ve f*cked up somewhere in the process. The longer your ‘lag phase’ the more you’ve f*cked up. It doesn’t take f*cking days. [i]Fermentation[/i] takes days. The biggest f*ck ups are under pitching and low viability, which aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive f*ck ups. The main aim is to pitch sufficient (lots of) healthy yeast cells. There aren’t any magic one-size-fits-all pitching rates* and home brewers are unlikely to be in a position to be ‘over pitching’.

*How the f*ck are you going to know, unless you have at least a microscope and you really know how to use it? :lol:[/quote]
[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/10UHehEC098kAE/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bretty Biscuit
Tippler

Post by Bretty Biscuit » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:13 am

[quote="Trefoyl"][quote=McMullan post_id=853901 time=1606423279 user_id=15744]
Yeah, anyway, the so-called [i]lag phase[/i] is simply where the yeast cells need time to process the environmental change - sweet wort conditions - and remodel their transcriptome to synthesise the appropriate proteins (enzymes) to do their dirty deed. It takes a few to several hours under optimal conditions, being strain dependent. Any longer, you’ve f*cked up somewhere in the process. The longer your ‘lag phase’ the more you’ve f*cked up. It doesn’t take f*cking days. [i]Fermentation[/i] takes days. The biggest f*ck ups are under pitching and low viability, which aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive f*ck ups. The main aim is to pitch sufficient (lots of) healthy yeast cells. There aren’t any magic one-size-fits-all pitching rates* and home brewers are unlikely to be in a position to be ‘over pitching’.

[/quote]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zneBZl5BLw[/youtube]
:lol:[/quote]
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:59 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 am

:lol:
=D> F*cking brilliant film. Haven’t seen it in ages. I’ll watch it tonight with my kids.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:22 pm

I can just hear it now. My nipper: “OMG! OMFG! That’s just like you, dad. WTF! That’s f*cking funny as f*ck, dad.” My wife: FFS, John! Haven’t I f*cking told you all-f*cking-ready about swearing so f*cking much in front of the kids?” Daughter: “Mum! OMG! Mind your language. Seriously!” Me and nipper: [LOL!] Beer?” A typical night really.