Kit brew to generate yeast?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Kit brew to generate yeast?

Post by Cobnut » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Slightly off-piste thinking...

I'm planning to brew an Imperial Double Stout partigyled with a Plain porter from Peter Symons "guile brews" and have worked out that I need a starter of at least 4L for the 2 beers (although depends on how much I actually get from the grain bill on the day, but too much yeast is a nice problem to have!).

Starting with a slant of WLP002, there are quite a few steps to get there and the last would have to be in a demi-john which - from past experience - doesn't work too well on my stir-plate. So I was thinking "How about making a smaller starter and then innoculating a Coopers Stout kit brewed short without the added sugar/DME/brew enhancer that recipe calls for. Then I'd have 12-15L of stout and plenty of yeast."

Thoughts/comments?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Re: Kit brew to generate yeast?

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:21 pm

I have no idea about the coopers kit but brupaks have that beers of the world kit series that is designed to be brewed to ten litres as another possible option? With that quantity of beer presumably you could just pour it in without a starter?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Kit brew to generate yeast?

Post by Cobnut » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've ordered a 1.5Kg can of LME and with the selection of hops I've got in my fridge, I'll make a 13L batch of a nice hoppy ale and get the yeast starter I'm after.

Happy days!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!