Thermowells and stc1000 temperatures probe for inside fermenting bucket

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Thermowells and stc1000 temperatures probe for inside fermenting bucket

Post by Wozboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am

Right, I'm starting brewing lagers and need to drop a temperature probe into the fermenting vessel and figure I need a thermowell, never used one so this is another learning experience.

I've got stc1000s with the simple metal probe which I'm presuming that I insert into the thermowell? Do these just need to be drilled into the fermenter lid and secured with a grommet? Has anybody done this? Which thermowell do I need?

I need an accurate temperature of the internal liquid or I could just tape to the outside of the FV? Is this sufficient?

Any help gratefully received, I've squeezed the wiring past the grommet on the bubbler at present but I'm not happy with the gaps around the wire and don't want to spoil my beer and expose to air!!

Any help gratefully received!!

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Re: Thermowells and stc1000 temperatures probe for inside fermenting bucket

Post by Good Ed » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 pm

Woz,

This is what I've been using for a while; a 30L plastic bucket FV with loose fitting lid and 200mm thermowell with a grommet through the centre of the lid, the STC probe end is plastic, but I see no reason that this wouldn't work with your probe. I can't find where I got the thermowell from now, but the Malt Miller sell both 200mm and 300mm. Not great pictures, but a Helles lager sitting at 1.5C. You can then calibrate your STC accordingly. BTW I don't do this for just lagers but for temperature control in fermenting all beers.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Does it work if you bungee the probe to the outside of the bucket?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:37 pm

On one of my fermenters, the STC-1000 probe is tied to the outside wall of the (plastic) fermenter behind a wad of bubble wrap. Seems to work fine.

When I bought my stainless steel conical I opted for a thermowell inserted through the lid.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Many thanks for the responses, I've ordered the thermowells and as a stop gap I've taped the probe to the side of the FVs with electrical insulation tape which is working reasonably well. Five thermowells on there way over from China!!