Wyeast 1968 London ESB and diacetyl rest

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Wyeast 1968 London ESB and diacetyl rest

Post by MashBag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am

Fr_Marc wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:27 pm
Please allow me to come back to my original topic (kind of...).

The ale has been in the fermenter for 11 days now. Original gravity was 1.050 and is down to 1.013 now. The room temperature where the fermenter is placed has been constantly 18.5 C. The ale in the fermenter has a temperature of 23C by now. The airlock shows no activity by now (no bubbling) and the last sample I took for gravity reading came out pretty clear and bright.
My question is: Is it possible to leave the ale in the fermenter for another 7 days, before bottling (using carbonation drops). I am anxious that there won’t be enough active yeast cells to ensure carbonation by that time. A follow up question would be: If it is possible to wait 7 days before bottling, should I lower the surrounding temperature (i.e. put the fermenter in a 15C cool cellar) or would this be not a good idea?
Thank you again for helping a newbie brewer!
It will be fine.
The yeast will find sugar from the drops. Yeast do not just die.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Wyeast 1968 London ESB and diacetyl rest

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:02 am

Like Eric, I have never left beer in the FV for more than a week. How is it that the beer is 4.5°C above ambient if the main fermentation has finished? I'm surprised it hasn't dropped in temperature.

If it's already 'clear and bright' why not bottle it now? Or you could take it to your 15°C cellar for a day or so and then bottle it.

But perhaps you have other things to do which make it impossible to bottle it for another week!

Whatever, it sounds at though it's doing well and will be a good pint.

Guy