Unsure & Confused which readings

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
bigstig
Tippler

Unsure & Confused which readings

Post by bigstig » Sun May 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi All
I have just finished my first fermentation (I think ) of the Wilko's Red Devil Ale but am a bit uncertain of my results. I have done this to what the instructions say and used 1kg Wilko's Brewing Sugar for 23 litres, and the Temp was a constant 19.5c - 20c and has been in the FV for 14Days exactly, and the bubbling seems to of stopped, (although I know this does'nt mean fermentation has ended)
I Bought a Refractometer and used this for my gravity readings OG 1.043 FG 1.016. today which i thought was a bit on the high side. So Roughly the ABV would be around 3.54% according to Brewers Friend ABV Calculator
However I also took a reading with my Hydrometer which read 1.002 for my FG so would be around 5.3% with the brewers friend ABV Calculator now I am unsure which reading to go with.
I did calibrate my Refractometer to 0 before I used it
Would anyone know which readings I should go with.
Also if I may ask which tool to use in future Hydrometer or Refractometer
ThankYou

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Unsure & Confused which readings

Post by WalesAles » Sun May 16, 2021 4:14 pm

Hello big,
I`ve made a few of these kits and they always finish at FG 1010.
Have you checked your hydro in water? It should read 1000.
1002 seems low for this kit, 1016 is high for this kit.
Have a look on this forum how to calibrate your hydro, I don`t know if it is
just water or 20deg water. (or just google it)

WA

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun May 16, 2021 8:25 pm

A refractometer will not give an accurate reading for specific gravity when alcohol is present. The reading will always indicate a higher value.

If the hydrometer read accurately in water at 20C there is every reason to accept the low reading you found.

There are calculators to adjust refractometer readings for alcohol content, but I don't find any are as accurate as using a hydrometer. That shouldn't stop you using a refractometer to provide an indication of fermentation progress.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

bigstig
Tippler

Post by bigstig » Mon May 17, 2021 8:32 am

Eric thank you for your reply
I did check my hydrometer in 20c water,and was 1.000 so all's well there. I know it's abit late now, but would it make any difference taking my OG 1.043 (refractometer) and FG 1.002 (hydrometer) as the FG reading seems on the low side compared to 1008 that is on the kit instruction.
Going to bottle it today & Leave for 3 weeks and hopefully be ready for the Euro's and in future use the Hydrometer
Life is a learning curve
Thank You

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 17, 2021 1:57 pm

As advised by WA and from the instructions, your measured FG is low, but it is what you measured and all I would advise is to keep a record of what you find with how and when it was measured. That record will prove helpful in your brewing journey and smooth your learning curve.

The kg of brewing sugar is fully fermentable and would after fermentation, by itself, produce a specific gravity of less than 1.000 from an initial gravity of about 1.015 of the total kit OG. Wort can be complex depending upon the initial ingredients and how they were processed, so variation in FG is not unusual, although what you have found and that has prompted your post, is outside the expected range. You'll come across this sort of thing many times in the future, it's just in the nature of brewing.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

bigstig
Tippler

Post by bigstig » Mon May 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks Eric for the reply once again.
I feel reassured now from your reply's, I do know that it taste's good as I have tasted it out of the trial jar earlier having done one more Hydrometer reading 1002 before I Bottled 6 then Kegged the rest. Looking forward to 3 weeks time for the Grand 1st Pour.
Thank You

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 pm

bigstig wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:48 pm
Thanks Eric for the reply once again.
I feel reassured now from your reply's, I do know that it taste's good as I have tasted it out of the trial jar earlier having done one more Hydrometer reading 1002 before I Bottled 6 then Kegged the rest. Looking forward to 3 weeks time for the Grand 1st Pour.
Thank You
I cannot remember a trial jar of fermented wort that didn't taste unrecognisably better when it was ready for drinking. That said, I've brewed for a longer time than I've had a reliable memory. However, I know it was a long time since I would tasted the contents of a trial jar only to determine anything unexpected in the sample and usually is simply placed aside for observation of any change while the bulk of the beer carbonates.

What are you planning to brew next?

bigstig
Tippler

Post by bigstig » Mon May 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Eric I am going out tomorrow with my wife and brother & sister in law as we are all now retired for a walk along the canal at Fradley Junction @ Lichfield, so will pop in to the City on the way back, and visit Wilko's again (I reckon I am their best customer at the moment) and going to Purchase a Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout & Tom Caxton Ale but don't know which one to do first ,probably be the Stout first. What I want to do is keep a cycle of brews coming through, now as I nearly have my first one under my belt.
When I get a bit more proficient at this Kit Brewing I would like to venture into AG BIAB but only in 1-2 Gallon batches as I am limited for space really, as I Sanitise inn the Bathroom them mix my Brew Kit in the Kitchen, then upstairs to Ferment in my fridge using a Inkbird 308 in the spare Bedroom. I have been busy the last couple of weeks getting some stuff together as, I only started at the end of April, but find it very interesting and enjoyable, be better when I taste the Fruits of my Labour.
Thanks Again for your Help it was well Appreciated.
Regards Tony 8)

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Mon May 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Tony,

As you become more proficient at brewing you will find numerous anomolies. A refractomer is useful for monitoring the progress of fermentation but as you have found is not necessarily accurate when alcohol is present. A hydrometer will always give you the most accurate result, and even then there can be some anomolies. I also brew mead and density is not really accurate to determine alcohol content by taking OG and FG readings. The only approved method for HMCE reasons is by distillation and then a special alcohol hydrometer, which is beyond most homebrewers.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The main thing is tha does your brew taste good - if it does and the numbers are not quite right then so what.The more you brew the more you will learn and improve your technique, and the more consistent and better your brews will become.

As you progress you will then need to get into water treatment which occupies a lot of space on this forum, and quite righly so, if you want to really brew some good beer. You will be able to get plenty of advice on this forum. My only advice is do not over-complicate things. Start with the simpler beers and learn. Do some research on your water supply.

Carnot

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Enjoy your walk and retirement Tony, my pleasure to read plans of another wanting to brew dark beers. My wife and I retired in 2008.

Lack of space is a bugger when brewing. Fortunately I have a garage, but don't have a brew fridge, it rarely gets too warm up here. Started brewing with extract and have brewed only one kit. All grain should be your objective if you want an all consuming hobby with rewards.

Don't know Litchfield, just know Dr Samuel Johnson was born there and was for a long time associate of Mrs Thrale, whose husband was MP for Southwark and owner of the Anchor Brewery. The world revolves around beer.