WHC Bond dead in the wort

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:28 am

I have just tried this new liquid yeast for the first time. The only instructions were to bring the yeast up to room temperature and throw it in.

My recipe is a Barclay Perkins Best Stout, SG 1052. It has been nineteen hours and there is absolutely no activity and the temperature has dropped from a starting 20c down to 19.7 in my temp controlled fridge.

Has anybody else tried this yeast and had problems?

Rob.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: WHC Bond dead in the wort

Post by MashBag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:07 pm

Nope, but I would get sold something what in there today.

Any smell?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:01 pm

What size batch? Did you make a starter?
I'm just here for the beer.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:36 pm

If you’re not making a starter I’d be surprised if you did see activity within 24 hours. It’s probably still growing.

Liquid yeast always needs a starter to perform well.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:36 pm

No I didn't make a starter because this particular brand of liquid yeast said you didn't need to. The batch size was 23L.

I have just checked it and still no activity. Temp 19.4. So that's 25 hours.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm

I wish yeast companies were a bit more honest about the optimal way to use their yeast.

Most are produced in the USA, so by the time they’ve been shipped to the UK you don’t know how old they are or how they’ve been treated along the way. Dry yeast is fine without, but for any wet yeast you are just best off making a starter regardless.

Honestly, if you want to make the best beer you can (and you should be if you’re using wet yeast), definitely make a starter and keep notes on how it performs so you know for next time.

If you just want to make drinkable ale then dry yeast is cheaper and more foolproof.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Jocky wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm
I wish yeast companies were a bit more honest about the optimal way to use their yeast.

Most are produced in the USA, so by the time they’ve been shipped to the UK you don’t know how old they are or how they’ve been treated along the way. Dry yeast is fine without, but for any wet yeast you are just best off making a starter regardless.

Honestly, if you want to make the best beer you can (and you should be if you’re using wet yeast), definitely make a starter and keep notes on how it performs so you know for next time.

If you just want to make drinkable ale then dry yeast is cheaper and more foolproof.
I agree with all above, but don't be put off using live yeast. I struggle to remember when last pitching a dry yeast, but have one on hand in case of an emergency and never found need.

Whatever your plans, recover some of that yeast when it gets going or finishes, and at the very least have a play with it. Any amount of yeast in a small quantity of wort will quickly burst into life while a relatively small quantity of yeast in a large quantity of wort will spread out and not surface until there is some overcrowding.

Have patience.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:18 pm

I totally agree Eric. I exclusively use wet yeast. I couldn’t make the beers without it.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 am

Just as an FYI WHC is an Irish company but the comments around yeast travelling from the US still apply, especially as they still seem to have issues exporting to the UK compared to pre Brexit and therefore the live yeast might be hanging around even longer in an uncontrolled environment.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

I have just check it this morning. So after 43 hours it has made a tremendous leap down all of 1 point. But the temp has increased from 19.4 to 20c so it could be hotting up. It could also mean the Tilt I am relying on for monitoring is duff.

I am not yet getting my hopes up because after so long it could be anything eating away in there. Too soon to smell if it has gone off. Fingers crossed.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:59 am

f00b4r wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 am
... live yeast might be hanging around even longer in an uncontrolled environment.
Yeah. Good observation.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Soay4699 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am
I have just check it this morning. So after 43 hours it has made a tremendous leap down all of 1 point. But the temp has increased from 19.4 to 20c so it could be hotting up. It could also mean the Tilt I am relying on for monitoring is duff.

I am not yet getting my hopes up because after so long it could be anything eating away in there. Too soon to smell if it has gone off. Fingers crossed.
That reads as if your system restricts using your human senses to directly determine progress, and if so, understand your concerns. A single point drop would be a bit worrying, but 0.6C temperature rise is good if the ambient temperature hasn't risen by something similar.

If there is a krausen present your wort will be safe from external contamination and the yeast will happily strip the the cell coating of any bacteria present. Can you have a quick peak?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 pm

I have moved away from wet yeast for now as they can be, Like above has, be hit and miss. This yeast is available in a dry form too. I had West Yorkshire yeast for my Cask ale and used some of the slurry to brew a red ale. Both beers were failures and while I suspect some other issues I noticed that the yeast just look odd and poorly. Deffo not right.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Checked again and it has dropped another point. So two points in 48 hours. I would rather not take the lid off just yet to check the surface. I can see a bit through the sides as it is a plastic fermenter and see nothing as yet.

Just suppose I had made a starter, would it have taken as long as this to show signs of life? I like to plan exactly when I brew and this making a starter that could take anywhere between hours and days to get going is a bother.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm

A good sniff would also be a good indication. Please don't be scared to take the lid off....