FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
soupdragon
Under the Table

FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

Post by soupdragon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi all

I sure a few members here have a FastFerment conical f/v but has anyone got the cooling jacket?
I only ferment in a standard Ritchies 25 litre bucket.
I'm thinking about getting set for the summer with an insulated bag thing.

https://brouwland.com/en/other/10530-fa ... e-79g.html

Before anyone says anything, I have no room for a dedicated fermenting fridge, that's not an option.
So, are these jacket's just a gimmick or do they actually make a difference? I don't plan on trying to cool anything down too far. I only want to try and maintain a reasonable fermentation temperature (18-20c ish) during the summer months. Lost a brew last year during the heatwave. I knew when I started that it wasn't a good idea but I stupidly went ahead anyway.

So, are they just a waste of time or are they good enough to make a difference?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address, or better still reply here. Thanks in advance

Cheers Tom

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

Post by f00b4r » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 am

I cannot answer on that particular jacket but I do remember a couple of people using some American version that you could also add cold/frozen water bottles to, in order to keep it cool in summer. IIRC their feedback on it was fairly positive.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:44 am

There was a polystyrene thing with a peltier cooler being sold that a mate of mine found.

https://www.thehomebrewery.co.uk/fermin ... led-cooler

It made me think.. That would work great in a bag better that ice (I messed about a lot last year with ice & water and wasn't very impressed with the accuracy)

I too do 25l and prefer insulating bags. So cooling is on my list of things to fix. But I want it controlled by an inkbird.

viewtopic.php?t=76778

The other idea is to dribble water down the outside of the fermenter and aim a fan at it. Evaporation creates a chill... Aka a swamp cooler.

My current option is 'get stocked up' and don't brew in August.... That does surprisingly also solve the problem if you live in the UK 👍

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:10 am

Look at what you have started..

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/temp- ... 20Shopping

Two holes in the lid, a reservoir and a small pump. Plugged into an inkbird. Bingo

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:40 am

f00b4r wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 am
I cannot answer on that particular jacket but I do remember a couple of people using some American version that you could also add cold/frozen water bottles to, in order to keep it cool in summer. IIRC their feedback on it was fairly positive.
As far as I know, the fastferment bag is an American thing. Have watched a video or two, frozen water bottles is definitely the key item with these bags.
I'm in two minds about getting one. Last year was the first time I've lost a brew to the heat, it was rather warm though. Do I want to pay out to prevent something that happens so rarely?
I'll probably end up getting a bag along with some other stuff to cross the free delivery threshold. I just hope they don't go out of stock before I convince myself that I really want one

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:47 am

MashBag wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:10 am

Two holes in the lid, a reservoir and a small pump. Plugged into an inkbird. Bingo
The cooling thing is something I've been concerned about for years. As I've just posted, I'm 99% sure I'll get one within the next week or so. It's never good to lose a brew, they're like your babies. A parent must protect them and give them the best start in life. Then you realise, it's beer and drink it 🍻

Cheers Tom

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:26 am

I find keeping fermenting wort warm more of an issue than keeping it cold (I use a fermenting fridge with heater, but this is not an option for you as you say). If you're generally able to maintain a good temp without need for this product I would personally leave it. That said, (a) I live in the North East and it is extremely rare that the weather would be too hot to ferment an ale and (b) I try to avoid spending money :)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 am

Dave,

I am with you. I live in the East and it is probably only a couple of weeks in August. And to be honest I can normally move it around the house to find a cooler spot & I try to avoid spending money. Whats going to be £50 for 1 brew a year....... just buy a couple of cheap Belgium blondes - which will also make you feel good about your own brew!!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:38 am

MashBag wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:10 am

You could make one of these out of copper for less than a tenner........

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:34 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 am
Whats going to be £50 for 1 brew a year....... just buy a couple of cheap Belgium blondes - which will also make you feel good about your own brew!!
That's a very good point actually, although I can get the one in the link for about £36 delivered. Not from Brouland I might add.
There's always the option of using Kveik yeast but I'm not sure how well it'd work at 25c ish rather than the higher temps it usually requires?

Cheers Tom

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:09 pm

If space but not cash is the issue then a Ferminator is also a possible (expensive) option. It is like having a fridge you can shove away in your loft though, it can even be turned into a kegerator when needed.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/ferminator-basic/

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm

A couple of cheap Belgian blondes seems like a good idea to me. =D> =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:35 pm

IPA wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm
A couple of cheap Belgian blondes seems like a good idea to me. =D> =D>
Thank you :D

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:09 pm
If space but not cash is the issue then a Ferminator is also a possible (expensive) option. It is like having a fridge you can shove away in your loft though, it can even be turned into a kegerator when needed.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/ferminator-basic/
Not even got the space for one of them even though it only looks a bit bigger than a fermenter, doesn't look like it comes apart either. Also it's a bit expensive and I'd need an expansion jobbie as my fermenters are the taller/narrower type than the one shown. :cry:

Cheers Tom

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:46 pm

IIRC it’s essentially a peltier device with cut out polystyrene (?) insulation Lego blocks. You can buy different “blocks” for different fv’s or even kegs, so it can be adjusted at will and broken down for storage. If you look at the pictures you can see one option with 3 corny kegs in it.

See some options here: https://www.geterbrewed.com/?subcats=Y& ... cts.search

TBH I’ve not used one but, when I saw it, I thought for some people it might be a good idea (not too budget restrained, space poor and probably not brewing too often).