FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:32 pm

For the record, I was not promoting it. I personally think that it is vastly overpriced for a polystyrene box with a £20 peltier fan nailed on the side.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:29 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:32 pm
For the record, I was not promoting it. I personally think that it is vastly overpriced for a polystyrene box with a £20 peltier fan nailed on the side.
Did anyone suggest you were promoting it? No, I didn't think so.

Guy

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:17 pm

Just had a quick read about the peltier fan things (or whatever their actually called), looks interesting. From what I read they sound ideal for a home build. If they're that good though, how come more products of a similar nature to the ferminator aren't available? Or have I missed something?
I will do some research myself but has anyone built one themselves?
Pity the ferminator is so expensive 🙁

Cheers Tom

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:06 pm

Peltier (or thermo electric) coolers are just quite inefficient compared to using a compressor. They use a lot of power for the cooling then provide, and so tend to be limited in the cooling capacity.

I’d probably buy an aquarium chiller instead. They’re £250 and need a small pond pump, fluid reservoir and obviously the cooling coil for the fermenter, but they’re about as compact as it gets for a powerful cooling solution.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:29 pm
MashBag wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:32 pm
Did anyone suggest you were promoting it? No, I didn't think so.

Guy
Promoting or suggesting... I did wonder, so was making sure...😁

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 am

Jocky wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:06 pm
Peltier (or thermo electric) coolers are just quite inefficient compared to using a compressor. They use a lot of power for the cooling then provide, and so tend to be limited in the cooling capacity.

I’d probably buy an aquarium chiller instead. They’re £250 and need a small pond pump, fluid reservoir and obviously the cooling coil for the fermenter, but they’re about as compact as it gets for a powerful cooling solution.
Aquarium chiller. Good idea.
Certainly a worthy upgrade for my bucket of ice water & a pond pump on a your immersion coil.

On the subject of pond pumps... Never buy a cheap one.. They really are shite.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:59 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 am
Jocky wrote:

Aquarium chiller. Good idea.
Certainly a worthy upgrade for my bucket of ice water & a pond pump on a your immersion coil.

On the subject of pond pumps... Never buy a cheap one.. They really are shite.
If you've already got the immersion coil being fed by a bucket of ice water and pump then they'd be the ideal upgrade, just putting the chiller inline between the bucket and fermenter. I guess with that you'd have to either run the pump continuously, or you could perhaps turn both the pump and chiller on/off with a temperature controller?
Last edited by Jocky on Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:02 am

Could you Inkbird the whole lot?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:13 pm

Yes, I think you probably could. As long as the aquarium chiller remembers the set temperature after a power outage (and I've seen a popular cheap one that does), plus there's the usual caveats of making sure the temperature band isn't too narrow and you have a delay on so that the compressor in the chiller isn't turning on/off too quickly.

You'd just set the chiller at a low temperature and let the Inkbird switch both it and the pump.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Jocky wrote:
Just a smidge outside my budget of as cheap as possible.
I realise to cool a fermenter "properly" more outlay and space is required. I have a serving fridge with a controller. And it works really well. The problem is that it's upstairs in my brew/computer/general crap room and don't want to be carrying a full fermenting bucket up a flight of stairs every month. Then down again for kegging.

I may need to rethink this. Maybe the old fermenter in a water bath with a t-shirt over it system. Swapping out some frozen blocks/bottles. I know the science is sound and will lower temperature but maybe not as well as other means. As long as it can drop, say, 5c with regular attention to the ice blocks?

Or maybe a black bin bag inside a sleeping bag with the previously mentioned ice blocks?

Or don't worry and use Kveik yeast?

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 pm

Just found this.......

https://homebrewacademy.com/swamp-coole ... peratures.

Looks promising :D

Cheers Tom

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:19 pm

I have tried the wet towel ice water thing. Very very very tedious.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EKD7CQ? ... =hdaddi-21

£100.. Wow. Makes the fast ferment bag @ brauland look a much better deal. Although I can't help think it's going to get wet, be difficult to clean & then is it an infection risk? Dunno.

The twister cooler coil thing, doesn't fit into a wide mouth fermenter. But will be OK in a bucket.

... Or brew more in July! This is becoming a lot of faff for just a couple of brews.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 pm

Oooooo. Like these, but cannot find them in the UK 🤬🤬

https://www.gotta-brew.com/products/coo ... acket.html
Last edited by MashBag on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:53 pm

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:07 pm

soupdragon wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 pm
Just found this.......

https://homebrewacademy.com/swamp-coole ... peratures.

Looks promising :D

Cheers Tom
If you’ve got the space in a freezer for ice bottles or blocks, and the time to keep an eye on the temperature (a visible temperature readout is helpful) then this is about as cheap as it gets.