Water report and filtering

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Water report and filtering

Post by UpTheToon » Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 am

I fear this is a very stupid question but here goes...

I've been using one of those cheap under the sink carbon filters for my brewing water. I've just had my water tested (thanks Neil) and am using brew n water to try and balance the liquor for my next brew.

The water that was tested was straight from the tap (and seems pretty decent for the pale ale type range, not much fiddling required, I've copied it below). So I should just use my water straight from the tap from now on as the carbon filter will strip out some of the minerals etc?

Sodium as Na, mg/L 18.4
Potassium as K, mg/L 2.0
Magnesium as Mg, mg/L 7.4
Calcium as Ca, mg/L 56.7
Chloride as Cl, mg/L 19.7
Nitrate as NO3, mg/L 3.1
Phosphate as PO4, mg/L 2.5
Sulphate as SO4, mg/L 99.6
Total alkalinity as CaCO3, mg/L 76
pH 7.1
Conductivity, uScm-1 at 20C 385
Total residual chlorine as Cl2, mg/L 0.16

AnthonyUK

Re: Water report and filtering

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 am

The carbon filter should not affect the mineral content but will remove any chlorine which is a good thing.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks! I'll carry on filtering.

I found this online which mirrors what you said;
What Carbon Filters Remove
Carbon filters are very effective at removing a number of deleterious chemicals, reports the Home Water Purifiers and Filters site. These include chlorine, benzene, radon, solvents trihalomethane compounds, volatile organic chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides and hundreds of other man-made chemicals that may come into contact with tap water as it proceeds through the system. In addition, filters remove bad tastes and odors from the water.

What Carbon Filters Don't Remove
Carbon filters are not particularly successful at removing dissolved inorganic contaminants and heavy metals such as minerals, salts, antimony, arsenic, asbestos, barium, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, copper, fluoride, mercury, nickel, nitrates, selenium, sulfate, thallium and other contaminants, which may require a reverse osmosis system or distiller instead. Carbon block filters can remove some large, dangerous microorganisms, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, that can cause a number of diseases and epidemics, but nothing less than the size of the carbon itself. Viruses are too small to be removed by carbon, as they usually range between 20 and 400 nanometers in size, according to the University of Oregon.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/19397 ... rom-water/

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed May 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? Just wondering if it is the same source where I am (Gosforth) as the alkalinity looks to be the same.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

f00b4r wrote:Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? Just wondering if it is the same source where I am (Gosforth) as the alkalinity looks to be the same.
I'm in Whitley Bay so might be pretty similar?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 am

UpTheToon wrote:I fear this is a very stupid question but here goes...

I've been using one of those cheap under the sink carbon filters for my brewing water. I've just had my water tested (thanks Neil) and am using brew n water to try and balance the liquor for my next brew.

The water that was tested was straight from the tap (and seems pretty decent for the pale ale type range, not much fiddling required, I've copied it below). So I should just use my water straight from the tap from now on as the carbon filter will strip out some of the minerals etc?

Sodium as Na, mg/L 18.4
Potassium as K, mg/L 2.0
Calcium as Ca, mg/L 56.7
Nitrate as NO3, mg/L 3.1
pH 7.1
Pretty good. The things to think about are, Calcium a little low, look to get that to 100-150. Sulphate/Chloride is not OK for a Pale if you are looking for a 2:1 ration but you can manipulate this and improve calcium by using calcium chloride flake. Alkalinity is also too high for a Pale but good for a dark mild or Porter, little low for a Stout.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu May 21, 2015 8:01 am

orlando wrote:
UpTheToon wrote:I fear this is a very stupid question but here goes...

Sodium as Na, mg/L 18.4
Potassium as K, mg/L 2.0
Calcium as Ca, mg/L 56.7
Nitrate as NO3, mg/L 3.1
pH 7.1
Pretty good. The things to think about are, Calcium a little low, look to get that to 100-150. Sulphate/Chloride is not OK for a Pale if you are looking for a 2:1 ration but you can manipulate this and improve calcium by using calcium chloride flake. Alkalinity is also too high for a Pale but good for a dark mild or Porter, little low for a Stout.
Thanks Orlando. Yes, I've been adding a bit of CRS and gypsum so far for pales. I'll have a look into the flake you mentioned.

I plan on doing a big Imperial stout soon and it looks like the only real issue is too much sulphate. I may just live with that being a bit high though as the only option seems to be to dilute with distilled water.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 am

No, just get the chloride up to circa 200. Your looking to reverse the Pale ratio of 2:1 sulphate to chloride. Ballpark, don't get too anal about this, you can't taste decimal point differences, that's for people with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 am

orlando wrote:No, just get the chloride up to circa 200. Your looking to reverse the Pale ratio of 2:1 sulphate to chloride. Ballpark, don't get too anal about this, you can't taste decimal point differences, that's for people with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. :lol:
:D I can see how its very easy to get hung up on this stuff. I don't like red excel cells screaming at me.

Cheers, I'll have a look at balancing the ratio.

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 am

UpTheToon wrote:
orlando wrote:No, just get the chloride up to circa 200. Your looking to reverse the Pale ratio of 2:1 sulphate to chloride. Ballpark, don't get too anal about this, you can't taste decimal point differences, that's for people with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. :lol:
:D I can see how its very easy to get hung up on this stuff. I don't like red excel cells screaming at me.

Cheers, I'll have a look at balancing the ratio.
They are USA red cells, say no more, I'll get in trouble. :D Seriously though when you are playing with "flavour" Ions you are to an extent dealing with taste. Did you see that TV show that asked people to taste chocolate from the UK, Belgium and the USA? Those brought up in the UK loved the UK chocolate and thought the US stuff was terrible, tasting like sick, not as it turns out wrong as it does have an acidic component that has that signature. The US ex pat citizens they asked to taste predictably liked "their" chocolate. To get all pretentious for a moment it is a "madaleine moment", if you know your Proust.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 am

Those BruNWater ratios are only recommendations and a bit US centric too ;)
I think it was in the IPA book I read that some breweries use a sulphate:chloride ratio of upto 9:1 and still make award winning beers.
This is obviously at the extreme end of the spectrum but don't be afraid to work with what you have rather than fight against it.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 am

OK, thanks guys. I liked my beer before I got a water report, I'll try not to spoil it now that I know more :D

American chocolate tastes like vomit. I'll just think of that when I see those red cells.

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Thu May 21, 2015 1:01 pm

As others have said the only thing that jumped out at me was the alkalinity.

For pales reducing to less than 50 is recommended. Personally I would want to be in the 20-25 range. Getting that alkalinity down will acidify your mash and certainly based on those numbers provide a smoother malt flavor.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu May 21, 2015 2:05 pm

DerbyshireNick wrote:As others have said the only thing that jumped out at me was the alkalinity.

For pales reducing to less than 50 is recommended. Personally I would want to be in the 20-25 range. Getting that alkalinity down will acidify your mash and certainly based on those numbers provide a smoother malt flavor.
I'm starting to wonder if this was one of the main contributors to poor efficiency in most of my brews (50 - 60%). Looking forward to my next brew and getting closer to an "ideal" range.

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Thu May 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I wouldn't expect too bigger jump as I dont see your ph being THAT far out.

Batch sparging I am getting about 78% at ideal PH and was pulling about 74% when my PH was still above 6 thanks to a 110-130ppm alkalinity.