Wort ph

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
IPA
Under the Table

Wort ph

Post by IPA » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:42 am

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Wort ph

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:23 pm

I've not read it. Saw it yesterday, then hit the paywall, although I didn't know about the app until reading this. I'll not download the app, got too much on all my computers, but I'll offer an opinion from what I already knew on this matter as I suspect it is another rewriting of historic fact.

Sorensen studied the effect of ion concentration on proteins, and instead of using indicators to determine ion concentration, used a galvanometer to observe change and rate of change of ion concentration. He was not measuring mash of wort pH.

Others had the idea of creating a scale, and at first Sorenson didn't approve, but did in time accede and did some work calibration colourmetric assessment to electometric measurements (pH).

An early electronic pH meter was taken to the Whitbread Brewery in Chiswell Street where it was found that pH in the mash tun was 5.2, in the copper 5.0 and in fermentation 4.1. Also that pH of brewing liquor bore no relationship to mash pH and adding gypsum and Kanit gave a wort 0.1 more acidic.

Why anyone can think the invention of the pH meter changed beer forever beats me. All the meter did was measure the pH of good beer. The good brewer already knew how to make good beer, and all a pH meter will do is tell if you if you have it wrong.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... .tb02620.x
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Wort ph

Post by john luc » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:40 pm

=D> =D> =D> true
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie