Water Analysis at Murphy and sons

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
fisherman

Water Analysis at Murphy and sons

Post by fisherman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Hello,
I had a water analysis of my tapwater last year at Murphy and sons of Nottingham, and advice on additions to make it suitable for brewing, This is the best money you can ever spend if you are at all unsure about your Liquor Treatment or quality of your water.Have a look at www.murphyandson.co.uk .I have a salifert alkilinity kit but dont use it anymore.I have brewed every week since and my beer has improved more than I could have imagined.
Good Brewing
fisherman

fisherman

Re: Water Analysis at Murphy and sons

Post by fisherman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 pm

mark

Post by mark » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

What did they test for fisherman??
And what treatments did they recommend for you?
Is the cost reasonable??

TIA

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi Mark,
Murphy's sent me a laboratory report on my sample of
Calcium as Ca
Magnesium as Mg
Carbonate as C03
Sulphate as S04
Chloride as Cl
Nitrate as N03
Alkilinity asCaCo3
Total hardness
PH
More than this they advised me how much CRS ( AMS) to use per litre of liquor and the amount of DLS ( DWB ) to use per litre of liquor. So if you don't understand how to change the balance of your liquor they tell you how much and what to use. The cost is £15 plus you have to post a water sample to them. I think it is dirt cheap. I have been mashing on and off for 35 years and the amount of beer I have cleaned my local council drains with throwing unbalanced chlorine tasting beer and other off tastes. The beer I mashed before the water treatment was all thrown away. I have drank great beer since.I use 1 camden tablet dissolve in 1 pint of boiled water to get rid of chlorine 0.52mls of AMS per litre and 0.72 grms of DWB for the beerlength. The DWB in the mash grist dry0.72 X mash liquor volume dry in goods and the rest in the boil. I hope this helps you. No more wasted malt for me

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 pm

Would you say it's numpty proof fisherman? I've never really looked at my water and TBH am a bit lazy when it comes to reading up/ studying it.

If I pay £15 odd quid and someone tells me exactly what I need to do, then sounds a bargain.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 am

As long as you want the One size fits all approach, and you water company doesn't switch your supply source from reservoir to Borehole at the drop of a hat, then I think it is a very good numpty proof approach.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Aleman wrote:As long as you want the One size fits all approach, and you water company doesn't switch your supply source from reservoir to Borehole at the drop of a hat, then I think it is a very good numpty proof approach.
example: The 2009 report I got from my water company showed sulphate values from 23 to 42 over 6 samples, nitrate from 10 to 33 over 45 samples :(
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

mark

Post by mark » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the information fisherman :)

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I have just been on the www.murphyhomebrew.com site and Water analysis is half price until the end of March only £7.50 that must be good value. It is an opening offer to the new website.
Good luck
fisherman

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

fisherman wrote:I have just been on the http://www.murphyhomebrew.com site and Water analysis is half price until the end of March only £7.50 that must be good value. It is an opening offer to the new website.
Good luck
fisherman
£7.50 can't be bad, but here it says (Usually £15, Registered customers only, min £15 spend). Eh !.... :?:

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:11 am

£7.50 is very good value. They've analysed my water for me and my beer tastes much better as a result. Knowing exactly how much CRS and DLS - which the report from Murphy & Sons will tell you - is incredibly useful. Yes, you can work out CRS with a Salifert alkalinity test, but I for one wouldn't know how much DLS I should be using.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 am

staplefordbill wrote:£7.50 is very good value. They've analysed my water for me and my beer tastes much better as a result. Knowing exactly how much CRS and DLS - which the report from Murphy & Sons will tell you - is incredibly useful. Yes, you can work out CRS with a Salifert alkalinity test, but I for one wouldn't know how much DLS I should be using.

I used a combination of the results of a salifert test and information from my water company and put the results into Graham Wheelers calculator, easy.

Oakey22

Post by Oakey22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

my water changes weekly i find on my tds meter, 1 week its 400's and the next down to 200's. what use would this give me if it changes so often?

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello,
well this subject has had quite a few people interested over 200. LIQUOR LIQUOR LIQUOR is very important. My neighbour Peter gives me his used beer bottles and in return I give him a few full ones. He likes my beer better than the selection at Sainsbury's mine is not so fizzy. ( no priming ).I'm surprised no one has mentioned Murphy's prices on malt yeast hops and the rest of the products they now retail .( By the way I dont work for Murphy's ) I have scaling on my fermenter and HLT but not for long. I hope if any of you out there find any items that would be usefull to all members of JBK that you would inform all of us.
I am a happy chap now I have great beer. what a hobby £7 a week and free beer thrown in, It can't be bad.
Happy Brewing everyone
fisherman

mark

Post by mark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 pm

I've had a water report done......the £15 minimum doesn't apply Blackaddler; mine cost me £7.50 :)

I haven't got the full report back yet, but had a brief chat with them on the phone as I plan to brew tomorrow. I was a bit confused by what I was told.....the alkalinity seems a lot lower than I usually test it at.
FWIW, I'm being advised to add 16g of DWB per 25 litres of finished beer.
I'll have a look at the full report before I make any further comment.

I usually just test with the Salifert kit, adjust my alkalinity and then add calcium to the mash and boil.

I should really have kept a sample of the water I sent in to compare the alkalinity result.