Tesco ashbeck Mineral Water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
The Epworth Brewer

Tesco ashbeck Mineral Water

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:50 pm

As I still have not solved the stuck fermentation problem I have had all this year, in desperation I have just bought 35L of this water as other posters say it's OK. I am thinking of just using it 'as is' without any salt additions or anything.
Has anyone ever done a brew that way, if so, what were you brewing and what was the outcome?
I brew English style Bitters.
Cheers.

Mr. Dripping

Re: Tesco ashbeck Mineral Water

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:56 pm

I can't remember the level off the top of my head (~10ppm IIRC), but at the very least you will need to add some calcium.

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks Mr Dripping. Yes, I've just fed the available mineral details from the label into Graham's calculator and it says the target liquor cannot be achieved with the calcium and chlorine levels provided, at least I think that's what it said but I've come off the water calculator now.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm

I used tesco ashbeck for a lager brew simple smash brew 4.5kg of larger malt + sazz hops,
with no additions at all to the water, it worked out OK not my preffered tipple but a pal who likes carling luvved it..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks Fil. I've got some readings from Graham's Water Treatment calculator now, although of course I couldn't put a figure for alkalinity in. But from the results, the salt additions aren't much different from my tap water. I just want a damned brew that ferments down OK, even if it reminds me of the old Tom Caxton kits I started out with over 40 years ago. On second thoughts......

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Brewing an English style ale with it will produce a beer thats a bit Meh! Muddy indistinct flavours, slow to clear, poor feremntation . . . Yeah really!

Throwing a tsp of Gypsum into the mash liquor and another into the boil will help the flavours sing though

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes, about 9 grams in the mash and another 4-5 in the boil, according to the calc. I like your tasting notes of what it would be without the additions Aleman, in fact I've brewed that ale a few times!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 pm

I get warer with about twice the mineral content of Ashbeck from my tap, it really doesn't make great beer . . .even Pilsners are just Ho Hum, until you add some more minerals. . . .then they sing