Aquarium RO water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
hopit
Steady Drinker

Aquarium RO water

Post by hopit » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 am

Hi,

I recently went to an aquarium shop thingy and bought 15 litres of RO water for £1.50. I'm using it for star San which I'll keep for a month or so, however I plan to use RO water + additions in a kolsch I'm going brew soon rather than using CRS on my London tap water.

The water had some bits floating in it, which is not right. Does anyone else have experience of buying RO water? He had a hose from some tank where they are store it in a wee janitor side room next to all the display tanks. Not sure how long this has been sat around for but it doesn't seem right.

Cheers

Jamie

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Aquarium RO water

Post by vacant » Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am

I brewed with it a couple of times years ago and it had nothing floating in it.

Bit of a faff driving to the garden centre so I then bought an RO filter system (around £35) and have been using that ever since - prep the water the day before, a long tube drains the waste water outside for storage until I use it for running through the immersion chiller, and then cleaning my kit at the end of brew day.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 am

The RO water from my aquarium shop is always clear and free of floating bits. Did you make sure to ask for it with no additions? I always do, otherwise they want to put salts in it to turn it into water suitable for marine tanks.

Guy

hopit
Steady Drinker

Post by hopit » Wed May 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Called them up and it seems it might be a bit of contamination from the hose they sometimes use for cleaning. Awesome :-(

They don't make any additions. Looks like I'll have to dump that Star San. I've already used it to sanitize the kegs my neipa is in!!

The ph of the solution was 2.4 and it sat in the bucket for a few hours before I used it so hopefully it's alright... and there was very little in it. I will always check from now on!!