Water treatment at it simplest

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Water treatment at it simplest

Post by barneey » Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 pm

sonicated wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm
vacant wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 am
I'm in a very hard water area. I have a £35 reverse osmosis filter and prep RO water the day before.
Water treatment is stopping me going all grain - I live in a hard water area. Can you link to the RO filter you have? Does it connect to a tap or a hose?
[-X never let water treatment stop you going all grain.

260 Alkalinity here :wink: the water can be used to brew most beers I want to drink.

Edit with acid treatment.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue May 12, 2020 9:15 am

Same as barneey here. It's perfectly treatable unless you want to make absolutely authentic Czech Pils (and even then you can get close enough that most people wouldn't know the difference).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice on this post. It's taken 11 years being on this forum but I'm finally an AG brewer now!

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:37 pm
Hard water? As Jim said above, it's the alkalinity which is important. And that's easily sorted using CRS/AMS.

RO water will have nothing in it (except water!) so will need stuff adding to get it right for brewing.

Do you have an analysis of your water, sonicated?

Guy
And what Eric and many others said. My alk is low enough (about 30) that crystal malt, which is acidic, is all I need and what I want but I need to add a lot of calcium through gypsum or calcium chloride to brew British ales. You probably won’t have to if you add sulfuric or hydrochloric acid, CRS/AMS is a blend of these. RO would only be for lagers.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.