just received water report

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Juffer
Tippler

just received water report

Post by Juffer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi all,

I have just received my water report back from Murphy & Son. Im a little confused as to what the terminology means.

it says add

21.69 ml AMS into all liquor
15.28 g DWB into mash.

I understand the mash addition or DWB but do i have to add the AMS into the mash and sparge water? so 21.69ml x 2 = 43.38ml total?? HELP!!!!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: just received water report

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:12 pm

You've answered your own question:

"AMS into all liquor".

Reducing the pH of the sparge water (to less than 6 hopefully) will remove all concerns of "over-sparging" and perhaps extracting excessive astringent tannins from the grain. (21.69ml per; whatever unit they talking about, litre, 10 litres, 20 litres, … ?).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm

The report should say something like "AMS (CRS)- 8.75 ml per 25 lts of liquor to be used, all liquor to be treated"
So add together your mash volume, sparge volume and any boiler top up to get the total liquor and calculate the total AMS needed.
Richard M
Cardiff

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi Juffer.
This may be an idea as Orlando suggested to me when I was in the same position as yourself.
Log on to JBK links at the top of the forum, have a look at water treatment, then go to brewing calculators and select Graham’s water treatment calculator.
Just fill in the boxes with the information of your report you have been given and compare what Murphy’s have given you.
It has an added benefit of you choosing the type of beer you wish to brew.
I found it very helpful.