Density Inquiry for AMS (CRS)

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Density Inquiry for AMS (CRS)

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 am
Cobnut wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:24 pm
Why would you recreate AMS rather than using a bespoke mix of hydrochloric and sulphuric acids to get to whatever mineral balance you are seeking?

I use AMS because it is readily available and easy to use, but if I couldn't obtain it and could "only" get the two acids separately, I think I'd use them individually.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Indeed it may prove better overall to have the acid retain the very same 3.66 mEq/mL strength, but have it deliver equal mg/L's of Cl- and SO4-- ions. This might get close:

175 mL of 37.2% Hydrochloric Acid
43 mL of 98% Sulfuric Acid
Make up to 1 Liter with DI water

If I'm looking at this correctly it looks like 1 mL of this acid blend added to 1 Liter of water would contribute close to an essentially equal ~75 to 76 mg/L each of Cl- and SO4-- ions, and also come in right close to being ~3.66 mEq/mL in acid strength. Again I ask someone to check this and verify/refine/correct.
A problem with measuring volumes of acids is knowing how accurately made the acids are and if the quoted percentages are w/w, w/v, v/w or v/v or whatever.

I'd suggest titrating equal samples for equivalent reduction in alkalinity with each acid to then calculate volumes, probably after an initial partial dilution.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:14 pm

I made up a spreadsheet calculator that is capable of computing various blends of HCl and H2SO4. As it is (or as it defaults) upon download it is set up to create an acid blend that delivers the very same 3.66 mEq/mL of acid strength as I presume is likely for AMS/CRS, but it is set up to deliver equal mg/L (ppm) of Cl- and SO4-- anions, rather than equinormal HCL and H2SO4. To set it to what I "presume" are likely close to the nominal parameters for AMS/CRS simply change the "Acid's Desired mEq's/mL" cells for each acid to read 1.83. If you vary the mEq's/mL acid strengths cell for each acid you can achieve any number of different Cl- and SO4-- anion concentrations (mg/L or ppm) as well as different total (or overall) blended acid strengths as desired.

Download at the 'Google Drive' link seen below (by pressing the "down arrow" seen next to the printer icon in the upper right hand corner) and then launch the downloaded spreadsheet file and run in Excel or LibreOffice Calc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10g93be ... sp=sharing

Note #1: It would be great if the outputs could be verified as accurate by someone with the independent knowledge whereby to do so.

Note #2: WARNING: Concentrated acids are extremely hazardous and dangerous. Do not mess with them unless you fully understand all of the hazards and dangers and how to handle them in a safe manner.

Feedback on the spreadsheet is appreciated.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I should add that for my acid blending spreadsheet the analytical parameters for the concentrated HCl and H2SO4 are also variable, such that any "initial" concentrations of these two building blocks can be input. Simply vary the "Acid Solutions Percent" and "Acid Solutions Density" input data. The below links for percent concentration and corresponding density data will vastly help in this:

https://wissen.science-and-fun.de/c...d ... -trioxide/
https://wissen.science-and-fun.de/chemi ... oric-acid/
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm

As you have now done all the calculations you have probably surmised that the strength of AMS/CRS appears quite arbitrary and would be much better if it was 4meq/mL to make for easy calculation but then you wouldn't be able to make it by throwing 20 winchesters of concentrated sulphuric and 60 winchesters of 37% HCl into a tank and making the volume to 1000 litres. (think I calculated that correctly)

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:04 am

WallyBrew wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm
As you have now done all the calculations you have probably surmised that the strength of AMS/CRS appears quite arbitrary and would be much better if it was 4meq/mL to make for easy calculation but then you wouldn't be able to make it by throwing 20 winchesters of concentrated sulphuric and 60 winchesters of 37% HCl into a tank and making the volume to 1000 litres. (think I calculated that correctly)
Sounds right if the volume of a Winchester is 2.5L. Not quite equinormal that way, but close.

First time I've ever heard of a Winchester other than for rifles and shotguns.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Using my HCl and H2SO4 blends calculator, and the Winchesters ratio as provided by WallyBrew above, and my best guesses as to the likely (or nominal) analyticals for the two concentrated acids, I've derived the following:

The H2SO4 components contribution to acid strength is nominally ~1.84223 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier equinormal presumption of 1.83)
The HCl components contribution to acid strength is nominally ~1.81307 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier equinormal presumption of 1.83)
The combined overall acid strength is ~3.6553 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier presumption of 3.66)
1mL when made up to 1 Liter with DI water contributes ~88.4844 mg/L (ppm) of SO4-- ions
1mL when made up to 1 Liter with DI water contributes ~64.2788 mg/L (ppm) of Cl- ions

To make up 1 Liter:
50 mL of 98% H2SO4 (food grade)
150 mL of 37.2% HCl (food grade)
DI Water to 1 Liter of total volume
(CAUTION and WARNING: never never never add water to acid!!! It will immediately boil and splash/splatter!!!)