GW's liquor treatment calculator

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

GW's liquor treatment calculator

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Somewhat confused by GW's liquor treatment calculator on this site.

I've been using it for years and just bunging my numbers in and then treating the water with CRS and salts according to the results from the calculator. Well, almost! The calculation for the amount of CRS I need to add to my raw water never seems quite right, so I test the alkalinity before CRS, after the bulk addition of CRS, then again after fine tuning it.

As I understand CRS, 1ml will reduce the alkalinity of 1L of water by 183ppm. For Saturday's brew I've put the alkalinity of my raw water into GW's calculator--218ppm. I want to reduce it to 20ppm, a reduction of 198ppm. GW's calculator might be expected to show I need (198/183) ml of CRS/L of water. Which is 1.08ml. In fact, it shows 0.96ml/L needed, about a 12% difference.

Can anyone explain this, please?

Thanks.

Guy

Eric

Re: GW's liquor treatment calculator

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:29 pm

There's a slight fault in the calculator that while showing Residual Alkalinity as 20 in the top middle box, at the same time for pale beers the Target Liquor shows 15 as the CO3 component, which is equal to 25 ppm as CaCO3.

I think Graham might have use 184 mg of CACO3 neutralised by 1ml CRS and rounded down.

Putting Alkalinity to 209 as CaCO3 and choosing Pale Ale it gives 1 ml CRS requirement.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Re: GW's liquor treatment calculator

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks Eric

Makes sense. I'll tweak my numbers.

Guy