Bottled Water for a Hefeweizen

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Bottled Water for a Hefeweizen

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:22 pm

As usual, I'm unorganised for a brew day on Sunday. I've go a hefe weiss AG kit from the Malt Miller, but as I ouve on the London/Essex border, have hard water (Essex & Suffolk water company, but don't know the source of my water). Can anyone recommend a bottled water (preferably in 5 litre bottles) that might be soft enough to be acceptable.

I generally use tap water that's filtered inline and then boil it the day before brewing, but I think the filter just about needs replacing. I may also have an out of date, unopened bottle of CRS somewhere.

Thanks for reading.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Bottled Water for a Hefeweizen

Post by Hanglow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Ashbeck from Tesco is a go to for soft low alkalinity water, unless it has changed.

The good thing about a hefeweiss though, is that having a higher mash pH is actually desirable (5.7-5.8 say), mainly for the ferulic acid rest and it also promotes the hazyness. So acid additions aren't typically needed in the mash for them. I don't know how high your alkalinity is, you might be able to use your water as is or dilute it with ashbeck

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks Hanglow! What would you say desired alkalinity for liquor pre-mash would be, or is it not as simple as that?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:10 am

I’ve used my hard water for many weissbiers and have done well in competitions with them too, so don’t be scared about using your tap water as it is. My only question would be whether your inline filter is also a softener - swapping calcium for sodium. If so I’d bypass it for use as brewing water.

When you’re ready then go and read the water treatment advice on this site about how to use a cheap test kit to find out your alkalinity level and then you can use CRS in future to adjust it. CRS won’t really ‘go off’ unless you leave the cap off.

If you’re set on using bottled water then I’d recommend Tesco Ashbeck and about 5g of calcium chloride in the mash.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks Jocky. You and Hanglow have been a great help.