Lager

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Lager

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:03 pm

I've read a number of differing thoughts about lager water profiles, some saying the water should be as low as possible in minerals, others saying to add calcium up to about 70ppm. It makes sense to me to add some calcium as, since I started adjusting my water for ales, they have been the clearest beers I have produced. I have made clear lagers in the past without additions but they always have a chill haze despite using Irish Moss and cold crashing for a week.

Any thoughts on how much sulphate/chloride to add?

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Lager

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Try BrewBrite
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks IPA, just looking it up now and looks good for what I need so will add some to my next Malt Miller order

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:48 pm

MarkA wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:05 pm
Thanks IPA, just looking it up now and looks good for what I need so will add some to my next Malt Miller order
If you use it ignore the instructions that say you can add it dry. It works much better if you mix it with a small amount of cold water until it is like thick soup. Use protofloc at the same time for optimum results. Both at 15 minutes before the end of the boil.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 pm

Brewbrite is great, but you don’t need protafloc too - it already contains carageenan, which is what makes up
protafloc.

Back to the original question - I use a minimum of 50ppm calcium in the mash, use brewbrite in the boil and beers are sparklingly clear after a couple of weeks of lagering at 5C.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:32 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:48 pm
If you use it ignore the instructions that say you can add it dry. It works much better if you mix it with a small amount of cold water until it is like thick soup.
Thanks for the advice IPA
Jocky wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 pm
Back to the original question - I use a minimum of 50ppm calcium in the mash, use brewbrite in the boil and beers are sparklingly clear after a couple of weeks of lagering at 5C.
Thanks Jocky, I'm looking forward to trying this out and seeing the difference. I've got a neighbour that's hooked on Tennents, but I'm reluctant to let him try any of my lager until I'm happy that he can bung it in the fridge for a few hours with no adverse effects!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 pm

Another option is gelatine, which is very effective on chill haze. Dosed into a batch of cold beer it speeds up lagering times immensely.

I don’t use it any more as my beers clear fine with just brewbrite, but also I regularly swap beers with both vegetarians and vegans.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:29 am

To be honest, I've avoided gelatine for the same reason. I'm assuming that Brewbrite is vegan-friendly as it's seems to be a mixture of Kappa Carageenan and a synthetic polymer, though nothing on the packaging actually seems to say it is?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:53 pm

This is great for chill haze. add a tiny bit when pitching yeast. It's repacked brewers clarex.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... rity-15ml/

Also makes your beers reduced gluten

doesn't replace good brewing practice and brewbrite etc though

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:48 am

Cheers Hanglow