Grainfather App Water Calculator

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Grainfather App Water Calculator

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:07 pm

Does anyone use the water calculator on the Grainfather G30 App? I've been brewing for years and the only treatment I've ever done is boiling water the day before use and then adding campden powder. It's about time I actually tried treating water properly as the water in my part of the country is terrible, but my knowledge of chemistry is non-existant. I've had a play on the app and is it really as simple as adding the various salts and acids in the quantities the app gives?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Grainfather App Water Calculator

Post by f00b4r » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:55 pm

I have not used the app but if it follows American home-brew practices it might not be the best approach for UK beers; they are a little scared of minerals. ;)
Do you have a water report? Water chemistry can be a complex subject when you dive deep but needn't be scary to get a reasonable handle on it.
We also have a water calculator on here that Graham Wheeler put together and people that would help you understand what to do in simple terms; there are also people like Eric and Aleman on here who's water knowledge goes way beyond that of most experienced homebrewers.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:00 pm

I will also shift this to the water section if you want?
Essentially though all you need to do is:

- remove chloramines/chlorine via e.g. a (part of) Camden tablet
- reduce your alkalinity (often using CRS but there are other ways too) to the level appropriate for your grist; this ensures that mash pH then falls in the correct range, which has a number of benefits and will likely improve some styles of beer (which styles depends upon your starting water as it may already be good for some styles)
- add salts to tweak your water make your beer sing a little more

I tend to do this the night before so it is all ready for brewing the next morning but it is not complicated once you have done it a few times.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:09 pm

Thanks f00b4r. Yes, I do have a water report (though it's a couple of years old). I'll take a look at Graham's Calculator. What you said about 'American home-brew practices' may I think be true, as when you enter a recipe into the app, it asks you to enter a style and the styles are based on the BJCP style guide. To be honest, that kind of suits me, at least until I'm comfortable with water chemistry.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:20 pm

It is worth getting water reports from your surrounding areas too, it is surprising what a difference there can be between neighbouring areas. My local water supply is ideal for London style ales but the water supply in the next village is so low in minerals that I brew Pilsners with it and do nothing more than adjust the pH.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:37 pm

I did miss one thing out and that is it is usually a good idea to do a quick alkalinity test (or TDS test). Some water supplies are consistent but some occasionally (or more regularly) get switched to a different supply, which can be different in composition. Your water report might give hints to this though.
Wallybrew on here is a water chemist and does water analysis for people on request, he does them in batches with a few people and the report will give you everything you need for brewing.
spook100 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:20 pm
It is worth getting water reports from your surrounding areas too, it is surprising what a difference there can be between neighbouring areas. My local water supply is ideal for London style ales but the water supply in the next village is so low in minerals that I brew Pilsners with it and do nothing more than adjust the pH.
I know a few people who live in similar areas, filling up some containers when at a friend or family member's house nearby. :D

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:49 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:55 pm
I have not used the app but if it follows American home-brew practices it might not be the best approach for UK beers; they are a little scared of minerals. ;)
Do you have a water report? Water chemistry can be a complex subject when you dive deep but needn't be scary to get a reasonable handle on it.
We also have a water calculator on here that Graham Wheeler put together and people that would help you understand what to do in simple terms; there are also people like Eric and Aleman on here who's water knowledge goes way beyond that of most experienced homebrewers.
Agree with all this, I had recommendations from Eric on water treatment about 18 months ago. I use a basic procedure as follows:-

Initially Get water analysis from Wally brew.
Using Graham’s water treatment calculator select type of beer you wish to brew.
Put in data.
Adjust water with recommended CRS and salts.
Occasionally check alkalinity with salifert kit (mine doesn’t alter much).
Results Better beer!

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:52 pm

It is always good to read of improvements by treating water for brewing, Top Cat. I don't know of any natural water that doesn't make noticeably better beer after suitable treatment, so first you need to know what you water contains, you have an old report, then what needs to be changed. Only then begins some chemistry, the rest is brewing.

B H, boiling your water to reduce alkalinity is OK, Graham Wheeler did, but it doesn't work with my water and it is expensive and time consuming. If you care to post that water report, it might be possible to give a basic idea of what treatment would be needed.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks guys. I want to move away from boiling my liquor as it's expensive and not great environmentally, I also want to avoid using bottled water if possible.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:46 pm

Treating water can be done simply and is relatively inexpensive, but at first it is necessary to know what is in your water. What do you know about it?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:01 pm

xHcSUOt.jpeg
water report
xHcSUOt.jpeg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
MOD edit: I am not sure why your picture is not showing so have uploaded it directly.

The full water report can be found here.

I've entered information from my water report into Graham's calculator and I'm getting some warnings, but am unsure as to whether this is because I'm entering the wrong information or because my water is so hard. The things that have got me stumped are 'Hardness' and 'Carbonate'.

Are either of these Calcium Carbonate expressed as CaCO3 mg/l? And is 'Carbonate' calcium expressed as Ca mg/l?
Last edited by Binkie Huckaback on Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Ah! thanks to the Mod who sorted this. It was driving me mad and then I got distracted and didn't have time to finish my post!

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:07 am

Yes, there's a bit of an imbalance in those figures, but that's not unusual when you get average readings.

Otherwise you get warnings because it isn't possible to accurately achieve desired profiles with your water seen below with greater chloride level.

G30.jpg
G30.jpg (245.87 KiB) Viewed 3292 times

Hardness and alkalinity are confusing as they are often expressed in the same term, calcium carbonate, but in this report the alkalinity is expresses as (HCO3), bicarbonate.

Hardness is a measure of the quantities of calcium and magnesium present in the water, usually expressed in terms of the amount of calcium carbonate that would provide an equivalent hardness and in rough terms it is (2.5 x Ca) + (4.1 x Mg).

Your water's alkalinity is very high and CRS might not be your best option for controlling it. I use hydrochloric and sulphuric separately and in combination, but that's getting more difficult as time advances. All you can do is get as near as you can and while the resultant beer might not be exactly the same as it would be, that doesn't mean it won't be as good.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:22 am

Thanks Eric. Should I be entering alkalinity OR hardness at the top, or both?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:20 am

Binkie Huckaback wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:22 am
Thanks Eric. Should I be entering alkalinity OR hardness at the top, or both?
Read note 1
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)