Water analysing.

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Top Cat
Piss Artist

Water analysing.

Post by Top Cat » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 am

Hi everyone.
I have in the past got my water analysed by Neil of Phoenix Analytical, I want another test and have emailed him but have had no reply. He may be on holiday etc, so I’ll give it a little longer before trying again.
Does anyone know if he’s still doing tests, and if not a recommendation of someone else who does.
The only other alternative I know is Murphy’s.
Thanks in anticipation.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Water analysing.

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:32 am

Top Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 am
Hi everyone.
I have in the past got my water analysed by Neil of Phoenix Analytical, I want another test and have emailed him but have had no reply. He may be on holiday etc, so I’ll give it a little longer before trying again.
Does anyone know if he’s still doing tests, and if not a recommendation of someone else who does.
Thanks in anticipation.
During a recent conversation, Neil said he hadn't opened his work computer this year and I suspect that remains the case.

Was there much variation in your previous reports, particularly in respect of the relative ratios amongst major ions, and have you a record of TDS and/or alkalinity readings by yourself? Just wondering if you might be able to construct a basic spreadsheet to determine major ion content by taking a single measurement.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:29 pm

Eric wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:32 am
Top Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 am
Hi everyone.
Thanks in anticipation.
During a recent conversation, Neil said he hadn't opened his work computer this year and I suspect that remains the case.

Was there much variation in your previous reports, particularly in respect of the relative ratios amongst major ions, and have you a record of TDS and/or alkalinity readings by yourself? Just wondering if you might be able to construct a basic spreadsheet to determine major ion content by taking a single measurement.
Thanks for your reply Eric.
I’ve had a few water board reports since my last test, and I salifert test for alkalinity and calcium levels every brew. I’ve noticed not much change, possibly alkalinity goes up in the summer months but other elements by the water board reports haven’t changed significantly.
I’m not going to lose any sleep over it yet.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:40 am

Brewlab offer a water analysis service. I don't know if they do it for home brewers but you could ask.
https://brewlab.co.uk/analysis-services/
Richard M
Cardiff

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:40 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:40 am
Brewlab offer a water analysis service. I don't know if they do it for home brewers but you could ask.
https://brewlab.co.uk/analysis-services/
Thanks for the advice Richard.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 am

The Malt Miller resell the Murphys service: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... rphy-sons/

I'm not sure if Murphys still sell direct to home brewers, but I've registered with them to find out if they do.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Post by Galena » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:06 pm

I can report that Neil is currently doing water analysis, in fact I have just today sent a sample off, next batch date is 14th June

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:50 am

I had an email recently about it.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:35 am

Neil is without doubt the man to go for a 100% accurate report of all you will need to know about your water supply . Murphy's have produced some very wrong reports ( mine actually was OK when they did it ) and some of their advice for acid additions is double that required , beggars belief that they manage to get it so wrong .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:25 pm

As I started this topic, I thought I’d also better confirm that Neil is providing reports for us again. Sample sent.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 am

Top Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:25 pm
As I started this topic, I thought I’d also better confirm that Neil is providing reports for us again. Sample sent.
+1

I had an email from Neil enquiries@phoenix-analytical.co.uk

Which he states "So I’ve decided to attempt a return from retirement."

I plan to send him a sample too.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:52 pm

+2 - just had my report back this weekend. Always a pleasure dealing with Neil.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm

+3 just got mine as well, much cheaper than Murphy's via MM
Richard M
Cardiff

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:25 am

Very good exercise. Very helpful.