Ashbeck mineral water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
cc986
Steady Drinker

Ashbeck mineral water

Post by cc986 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:25 pm

I know that a few people on here use Ashbeck and I have been trying it myself recently for my last four brews, but I have come across an issue that I wondered if anyone else had experienced.
Every time I do a brew with this water my mash ph is always about 0.2 off the predicted. For example, for the first brew I aimed for 5.3 and got 5.1, so for the next one I aimed for 5.5 and got 5.3. Similar for the other two brews.
I have entered the mineral content in the water profile in Brewfather exactly as it is on the label.
My ph meter is calibrated with buffer solution prior to every brew.
My mash efficiency, OG, etc are turning out fine.

Or isn't that difference a problem? My water supply is very inconsistent (which is why I was testing Ashbeck) so I have got used to my mash ph being 0.1 - 0.2 out sometimes (other times exactly right), but with the mineral content of Ashbeck being known and printed on the label I thought I could get better results from that.

Thanks,
Chris

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Re: Ashbeck mineral water

Post by nickjdavis » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:26 pm

there is plenty of stuff that will affect your mash pH (the water being possibly the least influential)...it is unlikely that any brewing software will accurately forecast the exact desired outcome.

You have seen a consistent difference between your predicted mash pH and measured mash pH....just work with this. If you want 5.4....aim for a software prediction of 5.6

The difference you are seeing is no problem.

cc986
Steady Drinker

Re: Ashbeck mineral water

Post by cc986 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 pm

Ok thanks very much.