Kombucha

For discussion of non-alcoholic fermented drinks
bryanferry
Piss Artist

Re: Kombucha

Post by bryanferry » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 pm

It was a "stainless steel spigot" from everyone's favorite auction site. Similar to this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-St ... 2161b5d5b5

I made the mistake of buying the kilner metal stand for the wilkinsons jar but they arent compatible so hopefully no one else makes that error.

I ended up also sewing up an insulated cosy to keep it happy and snug as it seems to enjoy 'warm' ferment. (This is all a nice distraction from buying more unnecessary shiny brewing gadgets).
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

asd
Sober

Post by asd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:52 pm

That Wilkinson's jar looks good.

One thing with Kombucha, it's a balance between very mild alcohol (less than 0.5% ABV), lactic fermented stuff, and acetobacter.

Once you have the taste you like, you have to exclude air, otherwise it will be vinegar in a trice. My position on it is that I like to keep the Acetobacter on the back foot.

When it is to your taste, transfer it to a vessel which excludes air - such as a Corny keg - and dispense from there under CO2, and it will keep for a very long time.

Cheers,

Simon.

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:13 pm

asd wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:52 pm
One thing with Kombucha, it's a balance between very mild alcohol (less than 0.5% ABV), lactic fermented stuff, and acetobacter.
#-o
Now that explains why one of my batches tasted like exquisite poison. I had been just dispensing from the jar but have now switched to swing top bottles.

This weeks plan is to make a strawberry and hibiscus syrup to prime and flavour.

(I’ll try to fight the urge to buy another corny for the enterprise).
Demi Johns

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 am

Do you need to keep it away from your usual brewing kit like you do with sours or is there no lacto in the scoby?
Never enough time...

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 am

I was told that not all scoby's have lactic acid but mine certainly has acetic acid. Came across a tip that you add crushed cabbage to add that lacto goodness.

I've been using the same beer bottles and funnels but keeping it away from my conical and ale fermentation stuff.
Demi Johns

asd
Sober

Post by asd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Bad 'Ed wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 am
Do you need to keep it away from your usual brewing kit like you do with sours or is there no lacto in the scoby?
There is definitely lacto in the scoby, plus aceto! There is lacto everywhere, so its not something I worry about. Its on malt, vegetables, in the air, it's ubiquitous.

Just keep everything clean, and be sensible. Don't put your scoby in your beer- although we did make a delicious mixed ferm watermelon beer using a watermelon kombucha as one of the souring agents, plus lacto fermented watermelon rinds, on a wheat beer base. We grew the watermelons, too.

Cheers,

Simon.

asd
Sober

Post by asd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Can someone advise me on the easiest way to post images to JBK? I've become a bit rusty on that sort of things, but have a few bits and pieces I'd like to post, not just on this topic. Thanks

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 pm

asd wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm
Can someone advise me on the easiest way to post images to JBK? I've become a bit rusty on that sort of things, but have a few bits and pieces I'd like to post, not just on this topic. Thanks
The easiest way is to upload them to the forum - see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65597#p730710 .

Just one thing; if you upload more than one image into a single post, don't preview your post before submitting it. There's a bug in the current forum software that will wipe out all but one of your uploads if you do.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

asd
Sober

Post by asd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Thank you.

Simon.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Well, I've got my jar, so all I need now is some scoby (Simon, you have pm!) . 8)

My local Wilko didn't have the tapped jar in stock, so I just went for a plain 2l jar to get me started. If I decide to upgrade I might order a tapped jar.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

tomandrichard
Sober

Post by tomandrichard » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 pm

Really interesting, thanks