The marmalade in Fullers

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

The marmalade in Fullers

Post by john luc » Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Has anyone cracked that gorgeous marmalade taste that you get say in London Pride. It is just in the yeast or is the water profile the secret :-k
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: The marmalade in Fullers

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am

Can’t say i know what flavour you mean, london pride is a bag of diacetyl lol. But yeah, probably yeast, the recipe is fairly traditional i think.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am

Marmalade in London Pride? Can't say I've ever spotted it. You've given me an excellent reason to try a pint and think 'Marmalade' while supping it!

Guy

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am

Had a bottle last night and it was yummy
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Could it be from hops?
I'm just here for the beer.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

My speculation is that it's the yeast. I'm also aware that none of the retail yeasts purported to be the actual Fuller's strain give the desired marmalade characteristic. I currently have to drive just under 120 miles to find any of the Fuller's beers. ESB has been along time favorite of mine.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Mashman

Post by Mashman » Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 pm

ESB, delicious and dangerous, lovely stuff.
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm

supposed to be the yeast, bengal lancer is the best example of "marmalade" I have tasted I think. Also that NEIPA that wasn't really a NEIPA they did with Cloudwater a year or so ago was a very good example.

I wonder if it's in conjunction with the hops they use as well though

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Wed May 15, 2019 10:41 pm

I get marmalade from Fullers ESB, love the stuff. I think it's from the yeast, as i've managed to get some of that character using whitelabs 002.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Invalid Stout
Sober

Post by Invalid Stout » Wed May 20, 2020 6:58 pm

Absolutely the yeast. That orange marmalade is in Chiswick Bitter too which as far as I know doesn't contain any fancy modern hops.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Being a long-time fan of Fuller's and in possession of their yeast I can't say it - Fuller's yeast - expresses 'marmalade', tbh. Nor is WLP002 the Fuller's strain. Unless you believe internet lore #-o It's probably more a case that the yeast enhances that character, if the recipe allows.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

https://www.fullers.co.uk/blog/beer-articles/yeast
"Fuller’s yeast gives orange citrus, and toffee flavours to the beer (marmalade notes at discernible at higher A.B.V.), whereas Gales yeast tends to bring a soft fruit flavour to the fermentations, with red berry fruits coming through."

https://keepthingslocal.com/fullers-brewing-up-a-storm/
‘One constant of all the ales is the secret ‘house yeast’. It has a very orange-y, marmalade-y flavour,’ says George. ‘It’s easy to pick up in ESB and, with Oliver’s Island, we enhance that flavour by brewing with orange peel.’

Supposedly Imperial A09 Pub has the marmalade that WLP002 and 1968 don't, but I've not tried it. 1845 and Lancer are both conditioned with the production yeast...

+1 to it being obvious in ESB.

Some vintages of Challenger can be very marmaladey but not all; it's more consistently present in First Gold.
Last edited by Northern Brewer on Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm

The only time I've ever got 'marmalade' from Fuller's (Pride and ESP) is when I've bought it in Sweden. Having lived in Southern England for most of my life and having drunk Fuller's almost exclusively for at least a couple years, I did wonder if what I got in Sweden was down to Fuller's contracting out brewing or maybe it changes with a little travelling or time. My view remains it's more to do with the recipe than the yeast per se, having used it generally for a while.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 am

Might be something that gets lost in mediocre cask?
Or it's a personal sensitivity thing?

I'm trying to think when I last had any of the main partigyle from cask but certainly bottles of ESB bought recently-ish in London have had the orange character for me.

staghill
Tippler

Post by staghill » Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm

I have been drinking Fullers all my life and there is definitely an orangey twang to the beers, especially in the bottles. My old Dad would never touch ESB because of the strength. He used to call it Burton Ale because that was what he said it was called in the 1970s.