Bad times on Kombucha land

For discussion of non-alcoholic fermented drinks
bryanferry
Piss Artist

Bad times on Kombucha land

Post by bryanferry » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 am

Public service warning for those with a sensitive disposition not to read on;

Went to start up a new batch of kombucha and found the top layer of my scoby covered in maggots. :shock:

Not sure how the bug'gers got in as its always covered with fine netting and loose lid. Took some wisdom from the elders of the internet and stripped off the top layers of the scoby and started a new reduced size sacrificial batch. Keeping a close eye out for any movement but looks like I'll be starting a fresh culture from a shop bought bottle.

Learnt a lesson that I should have taken some layers off prior to now and started a scoby hotel.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

wmfd
Piss Artist

Re: Bad times on Kombucha land

Post by wmfd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Oh no, just saw this and shuddered!

I hope you’re back up and running now. Any idea how you could best keep a spare, for backup?

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:38 am

I had to bin the whole batch in the end as there must have still been some nasties in all of the Scoby.

But all in all that was over a years worth of booch from a single bottle I bought in Holland and Barratt. You apparently can take off the layers and put into a jar/ Scoby hotel. Tried it with one of the infected layers but will now bin it and will head out for a new bottle and start again.

Taken the opportunity to make a new cosy but will need a better bug proofing for the top;

Got a batch of elderflower cordial on the go for the time being as locating a bottle of kombucha is difficult in the country.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm

My scoby has lived in my shed for over a year now with just a tea towel over it.

I must just be very lucky not to have got maggots.

I did have a suspicion that a snail might have travelled over it once though. #-o
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria