Hazy Jane Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
benchharp
Steady Drinker

Hazy Jane Recipe

Post by benchharp » Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi,

I noticed in some older threads that a few mentioned that they had brewed the Hazy Jane recipe from DIY Dog.

I'm interested in giving it a go to have a nice easy drinker on hand. Have you had good results trying it?

Any thoughts on the 1g flavour hops at 10 mins?
I heard a couple of varying opinions as to whether that was a mistake or just due to the fact that its scaled down from a much larger brew where they probably threw in 1kg at that point.

HOPS
(g) Add Attribute
Chinook 1 10 Flavour
Chinook 20 0 Aroma
Amarillo 20 0 Aroma
Simcoe 20 0 Aroma
Citra 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Simcoe 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Amarillo 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Mosaic 50 Dry Hop Aroma

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Hazy Jane Recipe

Post by IPA » Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 pm

Sounds like the perfect cloudy hop soup recipe.
Worth remembering that anyone can brew cloudy beer but it takes experience to brew bright beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm

These 'new' recipes always amaze me. Do you really need to have that many hop additions?

Guy

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm

Blinkin` `eck mun! [-X
Even I wouldn`t put that many hops in a turgid soup/beer thing! #-o
I am all for experimentation etc (see Cock Ale and Gruit Ale) but I think that is a bit much.
Still, each to his own.....................
Good Luck with the brew.

WA

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue May 11, 2021 9:45 pm

If you’re going to get 4 packs of 100g of hops then personally I’d recommend putting in half at 80c for 10 minutes, and use the other half to dry hop.

I did this with a brew recently, and it came out really nice.

I don’t think the 1 gram addition will do anything, although having said that I was using 3x the hops.

Yeast choice is critical for something like this. London Ale III is good, but if you want to drive attenuation then I recommend the Hazy Daze II blend from Yeast Bay or London Fog from Imperial.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm
These 'new' recipes always amaze me. Do you really need to have that many hop additions?

Guy
Ignoring the daft 1g addition, it’s really only two additions, albeit with a blend of hops.

At a commercial scale using a blend of hops can be quite useful, and particularly for the hazy styles using several hops is important.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 am

WalesAles wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm
Blinkin` `eck mun! [-X
Even I wouldn`t put that many hops in a turbid soup/beer thing! #-o
I am all for experimentation etc (see Cock Ale and Gruit Ale) but I think that is a bit much.
Still, each to his own.....................
Good Luck with the brew.

WA

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 am

Jocky wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 pm
guypettigrew wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Guy
Ignoring the daft 1g addition, it’s really only two additions, albeit with a blend of hops.

At a commercial scale using a blend of hops can be quite useful, and particularly for the hazy styles using several hops is important.
Or is it just a fad, a trend? 5 different hops? Are we to believe the brewer tried all possible combinations before settling on this combination of hops for these time periods?

My slightly cynical guess is the brewer likes all these hops, tried chucking them in and liked the result, recognising a beer which met current customer expectations.

So, is this how hazy beers are made nowadays? In truth, I know nothing about them. No hops during the boil, loads of hops at flame out and as dry hopping. With 260g of hops, presumably all pellets, no wonder the final beer is hazy!

Guy

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am

They've been trend in the UK for a number of years now and started gaining popularity in the US well over ten years ago, so I'm not sure they are a "fad" anymore. And brewing a good one takes a lot of technical ability, as much as a proper pils for example does. I don't brew them personally as I tend to brew 23l batches at a time and would struggle to drink that much in time, as fresh is best for most beers but even more so with this style.

Another fresh is best beer and properly hazy beer is a weiss beer, the one I just brewed I made lower gravity than is the norm so I can get through it quicker

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 am
Or is it just a fad, a trend? 5 different hops? Are we to believe the brewer tried all possible combinations before settling on this combination of hops for these time periods?

My slightly cynical guess is the brewer likes all these hops, tried chucking them in and liked the result, recognising a beer which met current customer expectations.

So, is this how hazy beers are made nowadays? In truth, I know nothing about them. No hops during the boil, loads of hops at flame out and as dry hopping. With 260g of hops, presumably all pellets, no wonder the final beer is hazy!

Guy
Fullers has been using 4 different hops to brew London Pride, Chiswick Bitter and ESB for years, so I wouldn't call it a fad.

As for trialling recipes, I think you might be surprised at how many trials they'll have done. Brewdog is massive now and at their size they'll want to optimise their use of hops. For example, Mosaic and Citra are fairly expensive so they just use them in the dry hop as they'll deliver the tropical aroma other hops can't. They don't use them in the kettle/whirlpool where their unique properties will be mostly lost and can be substituted for cheaper hops. Even amongst the cheaper hops when used late or in the dry hop they provide different elements of flavour, so it's worth mixing them up. Chinook gives pine, Amarillo is a bit more orangey and Simcoe is more tropical fruit (e.g. papaya), so they use all of them to get a more complex profile.

Even as a home brewer you can evolve your recipe over time to find your own hop combinations. Citra and Mosaic are an all time great combination, to which you can add a third or even fourth hop for some extra complexity, or sub out one and replace with something else.

I was really happy with Citra, Azacca and Sabro, 50g of each in post boil at 80c and 50g of each as a dry hop (into 21 litres of the fermenter). I've also tried out Ekuanot, Idaho 7, El Dorado.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed May 12, 2021 11:27 am

benchharp wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 pm
Any thoughts on the 1g flavour hops at 10 mins?[/b]
I thought it must be a typo but looking at their trial beers that haven't made it to market - and assuming (as last reported) they still trial at homebrew level (50L), there are a few which have hop additions that surely can't/couldn't have any impact - 1g to 4g.

As for the hop bill (yikes) Hazy Jane was originally a 7.2% beer - now 5%. With the grain bill being by far the cheapest component you have to assume the motivation was to get the associated (over the top) hop bill down so whether a flameout 60g and dry hop 200g is still appropriate is questionable to say the least.

The wife likes Hazy Jane so persuaded her to test it against my Talus IPA. The only comment she came up with was one was a lot fizzier (HJ) compared to the other (Talus). Can't beat a reasoned, professional opinion.

They state they use Wyeast 1056 by the way.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Jocky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am

Fullers has been using 4 different hops to brew London Pride, Chiswick Bitter and ESB for years, so I wouldn't call it a fad.
OK, I'll gracefully admit I have no idea what I'm talking about! In fact, looking back over my notes I see I've used 4 different hops in a number of brews.

I guess it's just, as an old f**t with a few decades of brewing behind me, the hop additions look really odd. Still can't get over none being added to the boil, apart from the 1g of Chinook for 10 minutes.

Saturday will be my next brew day. Perhaps I'll break with tradition and add loads of hops at flame out.

One query, please. The recipe says 'dry hop' for the 200g at the end. Does that mean in the FV or in the keg?

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:27 am
As for the hop bill (yikes) Hazy Jane was originally a 7.2% beer - now 5%. With the grain bill being by far the cheapest component you have to assume the motivation was to get the associated (over the top) hop bill down so whether a flameout 60g and dry hop 200g is still appropriate is questionable to say the least.
I wonder if it's because they want a hazy pale on supermarket shelves and possibly in places like Wetherspoons. Neither would stock a 7.2% beer.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed May 12, 2021 2:38 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Jocky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am

OK, I'll gracefully admit I have no idea what I'm talking about! In fact, looking back over my notes I see I've used 4 different hops in a number of brews.

I guess it's just, as an old f**t with a few decades of brewing behind me, the hop additions look really odd. Still can't get over none being added to the boil, apart from the 1g of Chinook for 10 minutes.

Saturday will be my next brew day. Perhaps I'll break with tradition and add loads of hops at flame out.

One query, please. The recipe says 'dry hop' for the 200g at the end. Does that mean in the FV or in the keg?

Guy
Totally agree on the recipes feeling odd when you've not made one before, it goes against all your experience. Even at 80c you get bitterness. I had a couple of unbalanced versions before I got it right - one where I added some 60m hops to up the bitterness and ended up with a beer that was worse for it.

One key to the style is to avoid oxygen pickup after fermentation. For this reason bottle conditioning a hazy pale is difficult.

Dry hop can be either in fermenter or keg. I've done it in both. The key is obviously you need to be able to get the beer off the hops at some point. I have a small preference for keg now as it means I can slosh the beer around to ensure the hops are entirely broken up and extracted. I've even built a dip tube filter for my Cornies to help with this.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for the tip about avoiding oxygen.

How would you calculate the bitterness of the beer? GW's beer engine always shows 0 IBUs for hops added after the boil.

Guy