identifying hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
drmick

identifying hops

Post by drmick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:38 am

hi All

One of my work colleagues has offered me some hops from his garden - he wants to cut them down before fall into his fish pond. He brought a sample in this morning with nice big hops on it about 1.5" long cones which are bright green (at work at the moment but will try and post a picture when I get home). He is going to bring a couple of bags full on monday for me but I have no idea what type of hop they are. So is there an easy way of identifying what they are?

I was thinking of drying them before doing anything with them (read a post about putting them on an old sheet in the loft to dry which sounds nice and simple). I have quite a few varieties of hops in the freezer at the moment so would boiling up a few cones of different varieties and the mystery hop and comparing the hop tea be a sensible way to go? I might be able to go to the LHBS, which isn't that local and ask there is they know what they are but not sure if I will be able to.

Thanks

Michael

boingy

Re: identifying hops

Post by boingy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:46 am

Posting some piccies of the cones and of the whole plant would help identification.

drmick

Re: identifying hops

Post by drmick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 am

just taken a couple of pictures on my phone so not wonderful hopefully this will work (seems to in preview)