Finishing hops question for coopers IPA/Sparkling ale

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
colgilbec
Piss Artist

Finishing hops question for coopers IPA/Sparkling ale

Post by colgilbec » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Just purchased a couple of kits namely, coopers sparkling ale and coopers ipa.
To get the free postage from thrifty i ordered 2 packs of morgans finishing hops 1 cascade and 1 goldings.
The question is, has anyone tried adding these hops to any of these kits and if so which ones with which?
Or shall i brew the kits just as they are, as i,ve never tried these kits before, so i dont yet know the final taste outcome,ta.
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Finishing hops question for coopers IPA/Sparkling ale

Post by Beer O'Clock » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 pm

I did a Sparkling Extract Clone in April. The recipe called for Pride of Ringwood Pellets but as I couldn't source those at the time, I used VacPac Cascade and Styrian Goldings instead.

As I was boiling everything together, the schedule was;
25g Cascade boil for 45min
15g Cascade boil for 13min
15g Styrian Goldings in for final 2min and allow to cool.
This will mean you need to boil your malt extract to get the benefit of the Hops. Or make a Hop Tea (not something I know a lot about). This gave a slightly different but pleasant hop character, I would describe as 'apple-y' (fruity but dry finish).

With kits there is already a reasonable Hop content, so you may find that the Hop Schedule above is overkill. It will create a different beer altogether.

With my second SA kit I just added 10g Cascade to the FV and left it there. Adds a slight floral character that I like.

If doing a Sparkling Ale kit for the first time, just add 1.5Kg Pale LME, 500g Light DME plus 300g Dextrose. The fruitiness and the hop character are already present. I have done a few of these and the result is pretty close to the original product. This is quite strong - so not for the faint of heart. 5.8-6.0% Abv.

If you like it then you may want to try to Tailor-Make it to suit your palate.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

rivetcatcher

Re: Finishing hops question for coopers IPA/Sparkling ale

Post by rivetcatcher » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:50 am

I used cascade with the Coopers I.P.A... lovely!!!