shiny 30 litre electric boiler?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
micmacmoc

shiny 30 litre electric boiler?

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 pm

I've become fed up with my plastics, leaks, seals and all that just driving me mad. Anyone out there know of a decent 30 litre-50 litre size shiny boiler from a decent supplier? I'm on my third plastic boiler and even that has sealing problems with the elements. Its got to the point where I can't face brewing in case another leak begins during the boil. It makes what should be fun a chore. And I'm running out of beer!

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: shiny 30 litre electric boiler?

Post by Laripu » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:46 am

Stainless steel pot on a stove is what I've always used. Eventually I'll get an induction stove top.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Blue Sky

Post by Blue Sky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 am

A couple of suggestions...

Malt Miller 50l ss pot http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=192

Ebay (France) 50l ss pot http://cgi.ebay.fr/50-L-MARMITE-COCOTTE ... 1939wt_932
(I believe the delivery price quoted is to the UK but you'd best check first)

I haven't ordered from either & have no personal/financial connections with 'em... just recommendations I have found on various forums whilst investigating a DIY boiler for myself.

HTH,
Steve

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:58 am

I have ordered from both, they are both excellent. I ordered my boiler and HLT from the Malt Miller with taps and sight glasses fitted. My Mash Tun came from ebay France., I had to convert that myself.
I use a propane gas burner to heat my boiler, I would personally never go back to electric, but if you must have electric look for the pigtail elements as they only require small holes in the pan so are easier to seal.

Blue Sky

Post by Blue Sky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:48 am

Firstly, sincere apologies to Mic for hijacking his thread... me a newbie an' all :oops:

But 2 questions for Runwell-Steve if I may...

1] Do you know if the shipping costs shown on the Catering-Service-fr Ebay listing are to the UK?
EDIT: ignore this Q... just found the answer in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42967

2] What does a pigtail element look like please (so I can search for them)? I was thinking of going down the 'Tesco kettle' route :roll:
(Although LPG definitely seems to be the way forward - after the initial investment - for long term brewing)

Cheers!
Steve

alfie09

Post by alfie09 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 am

why cant you get the plastic buckets to seal? have you made sure its a absolute clean hole no rough edges? i had rough edges that caused leaks on mine

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 am

I am on my secon plastic now, the first one split after frost damage. The current one has badly cut holes (don't buy a cheap holesaw from wilkos, they're uneven!). So I try and build the seal up with washers and cut plastic, it leaks about 1/3 of the times. Not ideal. I just thought if I could get a reasonably priced shiny it would be a nice pressie to me! I did previously buy a steel one.....guess what....a badly cut element hole leaked! At that point I returned to plastic but have been plagued with an assortment of element and tap problems. So its over to you experts for avice for trouble free boiling. Thanks folks!

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am

Pig tail elements are like these

http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/ ... roduct=231

The beauty of these is they connect through 2 small holes so are easier to seal. I've not used them before but ithers on here recommend them.

Personally I'd go the gas route.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:36 am

Those pigtail elements look good Steve, perhaps doing these in the plastic buckets I have would save me a bundle, presumably they'd fit with an ordinary drill bit hole and not require dodgy big messy holes?

Of course the money saved could go towards more hops, malt and yeast.....thats to say beer!

Thanks again folks!

Ringbolt
Tippler

Post by Ringbolt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I bought a Buffalo 40 litre manual fill water boiler from Nisbets. (CC193) Only £120. Stainless steel with a concealed element. Holds a good rolling boil without any fear of boiling over. They do make a 30 litre but the saving is only £15. For me the extra capacity was well worth it.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/Produ ... pByBrand=1

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 am

Ringbolt wrote:I bought a Buffalo 40 litre manual fill water boiler from Nisbets. (CC193) Only £120. Stainless steel with a concealed element. Holds a good rolling boil without any fear of boiling over. They do make a 30 litre but the saving is only £15. For me the extra capacity was well worth it.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/Produ ... pByBrand=1
+1.

I've done 10 odd brews in one (BIAB stylee) and it's been excellent.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:33 pm

My love affair with plastic boilers is over. Malt Miller Rob is making me a 50litre pot, with necessary holes etc. I'll fit my backer elements from the plassie crap. I had an incident with a new plastic today and thought 'THATS IT!' I think after 40 odd brews I know I'll certainly use the thing so why not treat myself. I might also add that its not nearly as expensive as I had thought, could have saved some money going shiny ages back. My problem now is brewing as much as possible before a looming hernia op! No lifting after thats done for six weeks! Except pints that is, obviously. Medicine innit?

I suppose with a 50 litre stock pot type thing the max brew length would be about 35/40litres?

Strange thing was the wife's comment 'I thought you'd been wasting your time with the plastic, get a metal one!' What a top lass!